Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

KC Slimlites 130w relay buzzing

Old 01-06-2012, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Sorry man. But relays don't know what they are connected to. Different relays may work different and be wired different. But the only requirements is the load rating. The "pin-out" and schemattic is usualy printed directly on the side of each relay.
I know what you mean, but I am telling you from experience... you need to use a KC relay with KC lights. You can also do a search and see everyone else had the same problem, that is how I found out my Hella relay wouldn't work. If you use a relay other than KC with KC lights, your lights will work - just one at a time.

If you find another relay that will work with KC lights please post in the thread where you got it from. Since they are cheap to buy I would like to stock a few in the Jeep.

Last edited by animated_robot; 01-06-2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: add text
Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by animated_robot
I know what you mean, but I am telling you from experience... you need to use a KC relay with KC lights. You can also do a search and see everyone else had the same problem, that is how I found out my Hella relay wouldn't work. If you use a relay other than KC with KC lights, your lights will work - just one at a time.

If you find another relay that will work with KC lights please post in the thread where you got it from. Since they are cheap to buy I would like to stock a few in the Jeep.
OK, Here is proof that you do not have to use a KC relay with the KC system.

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/relays_0332019150.asp

This relay is direct plug and play. You do not need any electrical skills to make this work. As far as price differance. IDK. But this still doesn't mean that any ole relay ( with proper rating ) will not work. The 5 pin KC relay does exactly the same thing as any standard 4 pin SPST NO relay. But you will be required to have enough electrical skills to know that you have to do a very small amount of wire minipulation to make it work. Working with electrical controls is how I earn my living. And I have been doing this work for a very long time.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 01-06-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
OK, Here is proof that you do not have to use a KC relay with the KC system.

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.c...0332019150.asp

This relay is direct plug and play. You do not need any electrical skills to make this work. As far as price differance. IDK. But this still doesn't mean that any ole relay ( with proper rating ) will not work. The 5 pin KC relay does exactly the same thing as any standard 4 pin SPST NO relay. But you will be required to have enough electrical skills to know that you have to do a very small amount of wire minipulation to make it work. Working with electrical controls is how I earn my living. And I have been doing this work for a very long time.
Not saying you are wrong or anything, I'm only speaking from my recent experience. Even the guy at the shop was confused when we tested other relays. This is what I found on the relay issue, and I had the same problem. This is why I switched out my Hella and Auto store relay for a KC, and it worked afterwards. Again, I am no professional, just speaking from what happen to me last week.

ht tp://www.jeep forum.com/forum/f9/kc-driving-lights-relay-933752/
Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by animated_robot
Not saying you are wrong or anything, I'm only speaking from my recent experience. Even the guy at the shop was confused when we tested other relays. This is what I found on the relay issue, and I had the same problem. This is why I switched out my Hella and Auto store relay for a KC, and it worked afterwards. Again, I am no professional, just speaking from what happen to me last week.

ht tp://www.jeep forum.com/forum/f9/kc-driving-lights-relay-933752/
KC 5 pin relays are a little bit different than normal SPDT 5 pin relays. IF you notice the wireing schemattic for the Bosch relay. It shows pin 87 and pin 87A are connected together ( internally ) inside the relay. This connection is the part that makes this relay different. Basicly pin 87 and pin 87A are the same terminal. So when the switch is activated, power is distributed from pin 30 equally accross both pins 87 and 87A at the same time. A normal SPDT 5 pin relay has both NO ( normaly open ) and NC ( normaly closed ) contacts on pins 87 and 87A. This means that when the switch is off, you have power leaving on one terminal. And when the switch is on, you have power leaving on the other terminal. ( Exactly what you reported on the other forum ). Since pin 87 and pin 87A are basically the same terminal. Theoretically, you could remove one of the pins. And just simply relocate that wire to the other pin. Now you have a standard 4 pin SPST NO relay. KC does this for 2 reasons. 1, this provides you with a place to terminate the lighting circuits induvidually. 2, This helps to insure that you will buy another KC relay if needed.

Again, I am no professional
Again, I am! You can not purchase electrical gear just by appearance. You have to have an understanding of what you need and how it works. And you need the specifications of the device. KC doesn't build relays, relay bases, switches and wires. They build lights. They purchase the rest of this gear from another manufacturer and resale it to you. Saying that KC lights will only work with a KC relay is incorrect ( unless you do not know what you are doing ).
Old 01-07-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wasn't trying to get into a pissing match. Just trying to save the OP from buying just any relay, or jumping through loops just to make his lights work. I was just passing information along from my experience with the lights. I may be wrong stating you MUST use a KC relay, but wanted to let the OP know it was in his best interest to buy a $7 relay from KC to save him from a headache or wasting money on just another relay.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

ok just thought i would let you guys know go the lights working.....really had me buffaloed
and i a pretty cheap guy so wanted to try everything before i went and spent money!
Solution was: cleaned contacts where harness and relay meet and where lights connect to
harness. Lo and behold I got lights!!!!!....
thks again for all your inputs.......
Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redwagon
ok just thought i would let you guys know go the lights working.....really had me buffaloed
and i a pretty cheap guy so wanted to try everything before i went and spent money!
Solution was: cleaned contacts where harness and relay meet and where lights connect to
harness. Lo and behold I got lights!!!!!....
thks again for all your inputs.......
Glad everything worked out for you.

Quick Reply: KC Slimlites 130w relay buzzing