Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

KC Slimlites 130w relay buzzing

Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KC Slimlites 130w relay buzzing

lites worked fine for a long time then all of a sudden they do not light up. when switch is turned on relay buzzes. Switch has power(green lite is on). Lights are wired direct to battery. Anyone have
any suggestions? I am thinking either the relay is bad or just not getting enough pwr from battery but everything else works fine including cb (direct to battery also). Thought perhaps relay was just stuck so tapped it but still no go. Relay is original relay from kc. Thks for any input.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Id look into replacing the relay. If it all use to work, then all of a sudden you hear a sound coming from it... it would be the first place I would look from a troubleshooting standpoint. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

thks...i agree just picking brains to see if maybe i might be missing something
Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try tapping on the relay also. It sounds like it is sticking...
Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OverlandJKU
Try tapping on the relay also. It sounds like it is sticking...
Done that....sometimes relays will stick your right....but that doesnt seem to do the trick so i kind of think it is done for
Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

What trigger do you have the repay wired to? ie: High beams, switched ignition, fogs etc.

If you have the trigger wire attached to one of those, remove it and connect it directly to the battery terminal. (positive) If the buzzing stops, then your relay is fine and it was the CAN Bus multiplex wiring that started to freak the relay out. I find that sometimes you can get away with it for a while, other times the relays start buzzing right away.

Of course, if you already have the trigger wire connected the the battery, then you just have a pooched relay...
Old 01-05-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRich
What trigger do you have the repay wired to? ie: High beams, switched ignition, fogs etc.

If you have the trigger wire attached to one of those, remove it and connect it directly to the battery terminal. (positive) If the buzzing stops, then your relay is fine and it was the CAN Bus multiplex wiring that started to freak the relay out. I find that sometimes you can get away with it for a while, other times the relays start buzzing right away.

Of course, if you already have the trigger wire connected the the battery, then you just have a pooched relay...
X2. Relay buzz is from low voltage from the switch to the coil. Could be bad connection. Could be bad switch. Could be Canbuss. And could be bad relay.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had the same problem, it was the relay. Also, since they are KC lights you MUST use their relay or it won't work. How do I know? I tried a different relay, NOGO. bought a KC relay - TaDA! Working again.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by animated_robot
Had the same problem, it was the relay. Also, since they are KC lights you MUST use their relay or it won't work. How do I know? I tried a different relay, NOGO. bought a KC relay - TaDA! Working again.
Sorry man. But relays don't know what they are connected to. Different relays may work different and be wired different. But the only requirements is the load rating. The "pin-out" and schemattic is usualy printed directly on the side of each relay.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 01-05-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Sorry man. But relays don't know what they are connected to. Different relays may work different and be wired different. But the only requirements is the load rating. The "pin-out" and schemattic is usualy printed directly on the side of each relay.
agree. should not have to be KCs relay to work as a replacement. Simply a comparable one
should do the trick.
thanks to all for your input. Seems as though i was on the right track thinking the relay
is the culprit here. guess i will hit the auto parts store for replacement and see if that does the trick.
thanks again

Quick Reply: KC Slimlites 130w relay buzzing