Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

KC reverse lights

Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
Just installed a set of back up lights (KC 517). It only took about 25 minutes to get them in and the wires in place. Prob about 40 minutes counting the fine tuning. I was able to mount the relay inside and, thanks to jk-forum found the right wire to tap into. Thinking about adding the "switch kit" or just making one so I can turn them on if needed.
So which is the right wire to tap into? Which post described the correct wire?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wire

It is the white with gray stripe. Use a tester to be sure, its hard to tell.

I am headed to Advanced Auto today to see about wiring a switch to the relay so i can be turned on manually.

As for them being exposed, it is true. I thought about mounting them on the lower corners of the tire carrier. But, once I realized that they mounted right into the stock bumper mount holes I took the lazy route. I am mostly on back country service roads or something like that so I don't see knocking them off on the terrain, but debris or a branch or something might bounce up and wipe them off.

here is the post that got me started : https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...reverse-lights
Old 05-30-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get worried about having them low on the bumper, you could probably mount them high. I saw in your sig you've got the MBRP roof rack...I'm running a set of KC 26 Series (basically the same light, different lense) off my roof rack facing rear...no worries about tearing them off on a trail.

Not sure what kind of bumper/tire carrier you're running, but it looks like there is tubing toward the outsides. Another option is what we did to my buddies TJ, get some tube light mounts (basically big pipe clamps) and move them up between the outer tubes.

Bad pic...but lower corner of the rear bumper, light mount on lower tube, light mounted between upper and lower tube.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM
JK Junkie

Default Looks cool

did you lose much ground clearence?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Default KC reverse lights

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
It is the white with gray stripe. Use a tester to be sure, its hard to tell.

I am headed to Advanced Auto today to see about wiring a switch to the relay so i can be turned on manually.

As for them being exposed, it is true. I thought about mounting them on the lower corners of the tire carrier. But, once I realized that they mounted right into the stock bumper mount holes I took the lazy route. I am mostly on back country service roads or something like that so I don't see knocking them off on the terrain, but debris or a branch or something might bounce up and wipe them off.

here is the post that got me started : https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...reverse-lights
Not sure the switch was worth the effort but the parts only ran about 15$ the KC switch kit is closer to $36. The switch was identical, but I got the yellow LED.

Mopar kicker speakers should be here for next weekend's project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	70437  

Quick Reply: KC reverse lights