Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JW SPEAKER JK Tail light assembly Model 279

Old 11-02-2022, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JW SPEAKER JK Tail light assembly Model 279

Can anyone tell me what the white ceramic resistor function is in this picture connected to both tail light assemblies on my 2015 JK Rubicon Unlimited HardRock Wrangler. The tail lights are JW SPEAKER model 279's.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I have never gone the LED route for taillights myself, but I would presume the resistors are to help play nicely with the canBUS and so they don't flicker. Are you having an issue with them working properly or just curious?

**Edit - ah, I see in your other thread that maybe one of them is broken

Last edited by resharp001; 11-03-2022 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the entire line of the J2 series from JW, @resharp001 is correct in that they just send a signal back to the CAN bus to prevent them going into hyper mode like you had a halogen light out. I saw your other post stating that it wasn't working, looking at the bracket holding the resistor in the picture I don't see the little clips that fasten it to the sheet metal in the housing. if that was left dangling the strain on the wires overtime might have caused a break.. taking these off I know that sometimes those clips like to stick onto that sheet so I'm going to assume that you had those properly installed. When did you purchase these lights? All of JW's LED products have a 5 year warranty on them, I have had to deal with them before with one of my sets of taillights having some issues with moisture ingress, and they took care of me with no problem. I would shoot them a call if you're within that 5 year timeframe and the brackets were properly fastened. If not, I'd take a look at those wires.

The wire on the left looks like its pretty bent out of shape to me and now that I'm looking really closely at the bracket again, I'm not seeing marks where those clips were attached. If it is the wire you should hopefully just have to re solder it back together and with a little heat shrink, you're good to go. Please let us know what you find.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

The resistor creates extra load to simulate the load of the standard bulbs as LEDs draw extremely low current which in turn prevents flicker. Yes it is for the CANBus to not fault on you. But post #3 is correct because that resistor can get hot so you need to support it away from wires, plastic etc.

Quick Reply: JW SPEAKER JK Tail light assembly Model 279