Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Just Installed: Mopar brackets, Vision X HID's

Old 03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Installed: Mopar brackets, Vision X HID's

I just installed a pair of Mopar windshield brackets and a pair of Vision X 6.5" off-road HID lights. I had to grind a plastic grommet on the back of the light for it to clear... I now have about 1mm of space between the light and the windshield.

Here it is:

I have a 42" Vision X LED Xmitter on order... with 80 3-watt high intensity LED lights inside, it puts out 14,400 lumens... I was told that is 400 lumens brighter than 4 of the HID lights I currently have. We will see...
Old 03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

beam pattern shot!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay.. This is half arsed, but here it goes. I have not installed the wiring as of yet, so I used alligator clips to jump one of the HID lights off the battery, as shown below. Note: All light beam photos were taken with a Canon EOS 40D camera, manual mode. The shutter speed was 1/5 of a second with an aperture of 5.6. In layman's terms, each image has the exact same exposure.

Here is just the low beams with no HID:

Here are only the high beams:

Here is the headlights off and only one HID light:

And finally, here is the low beams on, the factory fog lights on and one HID light:

I have to do some adjusting to the bracket because I can't make the light point high enough without hitting the windshield. I will have to mill the mounting hole about 1/8" to slide the lights slightly forward.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:54 PM
JK Newbie

before you do that try adding some large flat fender washers under the light base to lift the light slightly. It doen't take much and then you don't mess up the mount.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

The base of the light is wide and milled flat. Because of the weight, it has a huge mating surface. I have access to a machine shop - milling out the hole an extra 1/8" with an endmill will leave plenty of metal on the mount without affecting the integrety of the bracket. But thanks for the idea!

Quick Reply: Just Installed: Mopar brackets, Vision X HID's