Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JL Audio C2-650x speakers

Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL Audio C2-650x speakers

I just bought my '10 JK sport 2 weeks ago. It didn't take long to realize the sound bar sounds pretty awful. After reading way too many posts about the issue I decided to get a pair of Kicker 77kick10's to put in the sound bar. Well, after I removed the grills and the speakers didn't fall out I noticed they were held in by 4 other screws. I removed the screws and found that the previous owner had installed some JL Audio C2-650x's in there. A pleasant surprise to say the least. The bad news is that the installer chopped off the factory connector so I was unable to install the Kickers. So now the conundrum, it still sounds like crap. My plan is to fill the bar with polyfil and see if I can get a better result. Are the JLA's a better speaker than the Kickers?

Stock HU and JLA'S up front as well, fyi. The tweeters on the dash are horrible sounding too.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by glock-n-roll
I just bought my '10 JK sport 2 weeks ago. It didn't take long to realize the sound bar sounds pretty awful. After reading way too many posts about the issue I decided to get a pair of Kicker 77kick10's to put in the sound bar. Well, after I removed the grills and the speakers didn't fall out I noticed they were held in by 4 other screws. I removed the screws and found that the previous owner had installed some JL Audio C2-650x's in there. A pleasant surprise to say the least. The bad news is that the installer chopped off the factory connector so I was unable to install the Kickers. So now the conundrum, it still sounds like crap. My plan is to fill the bar with polyfil and see if I can get a better result. Are the JLA's a better speaker than the Kickers?

Stock HU and JLA'S up front as well, fyi. The tweeters on the dash are horrible sounding too.
Your going to have to replace the HU and speaker wires.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

It seems the HU (REQ) is cutting the audio to the sound bar speakers. The same speakers up front thump pretty good. Is there any way to unlock the REQ HU to get the audio to the sound bar? I really don't relish the idea of replacing the HU.

Thanks!

oh, btw I added polyfil to the sound bar and it did nothing noticeable. Expected since the power isn't getting there to begin with.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It seems the HU (REQ) is cutting the audio to the sound bar speakers. The same speakers up front thump pretty good. Is there any way to unlock the REQ HU to get the audio to the sound bar? I really don't relish the idea of replacing the HU.

Thanks!

oh, btw I added polyfil to the sound bar and it did nothing noticeable. Expected since the power isn't getting there to begin with.
The system does this as you would deafening the rear passengers.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same speakers in my sound bar and TR650-CSi components up front. I have a Kenwood DNX 7190 Head Unit. I lined the sound bar with dynamat and partially filled the front boxes with polyfill. It sounds pretty damn good without an amp and sub.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there any way to unlock the REQ HU to get the audio to the sound bar?
Yep. Remove it from the dash. Take it out to the driveway. Smash it on the ground. Install new HU and adjust to desired levels.

I'm running a Kenwood HU. Polk Audio speakers. Rockford Fosgate amps and subwoofer. NO poli or dyna in the box's. And it sounds like .
Old 02-23-2013, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Yep. Remove it from the dash. Take it out to the driveway. Smash it on the ground.
This is the way it's heading, LOL! Thanks guys!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

i put the c2650 in the sound bar as well and it sounds like crap. i know its not the speakers i use the same in my trans am and they sound great. I will be lining the sound bar with dynamat and filling with polly fill. Along with a amp and headunit im sure it will sound much better.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

My C2650x sound great in my sound bar, but I did make the sound bar better by first during my system install I removed the sound bar completely and filled the center cavity of the sound bar with expanding insulation foam. The sound bar is one whole hollow abs piece, not good for acoustics. By filling the center area of the sound bar with insulation foam, each speaker had it own separate enclosure and the sound bar was dampened aswell. I am running an HD900/5 for my system so my sound bar speakers are only received a Highpass signal. I ran out of dynamat so I eventually will open up the sound bar and add some dynamat to the top port of the speaker area.

Quick Reply: JL Audio C2-650x speakers