Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JK sound in my TJ?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK sound in my TJ?

Radio gurus I need help. I have an 04 TJ and my wife picked up her JK Rubicon about a month ago and I want more sound out of my TJ. I know people in here have kinda dogged out the 7 speaker system in the JK but if I could get my TJ sounding like her JK I would be happy. I have some stuff and I want to know if I can make it work or do I need to start over. Heres what I have.......Alpine head unit (not sure of model number but it has RCA outs).......600 watt Kenwood amp....... Pioneer 6 1/2 in the sound bar........Pioneer 5 1/4 in the dash. I have a set of tweeters (not sure what kind)....... 1 Kicker 12` sub. Also, if I were to come across someone in here unloading their stuff from their JK, could I use it? Can I make my stuff work or what? I know this is a bunch of questions but I want some sound.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:30 PM
JK Freak

I don't see why you cannot make it work. If the speakers don't end up fitting, make an enclosure for them. I had my 04 Rubi sounding great with a new head unit, and replacing all speakers with infinity referance (I think it was). Then I put a polk 12 inch sub out back and was done....
Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM
JK Newbie

I have it hooked up but it sounds like shit. The soundbar speakers fade out way too fast. Running everything off of the amp so I have no fader controls. Just need a lesson on what not to do I guess. Wasnt sure if I has it hooked up right or not but guess I cant make it loud and CLEAR. Is Pioneer cheap? Do I need to fork over $100 bucks for a pair of infinity? Maybe try some headphones. lol
Old 03-26-2007, 10:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by roadking1733
I have it hooked up but it sounds like shit. The soundbar speakers fade out way too fast. Running everything off of the amp so I have no fader controls. Just need a lesson on what not to do I guess. Wasnt sure if I has it hooked up right or not but guess I cant make it loud and CLEAR. Is Pioneer cheap? Do I need to fork over $100 bucks for a pair of infinity? Maybe try some headphones. lol
Well, it shouldn't be sounding like crap! I would have someone that knows stereos pretty well take a look at your rig and troubleshoot what you have going on. It could be something simple or it could be that you need a new amp. It's all about clean, efficient power from an amp. That said, check your cables/wires and ensure nothing is loose or that they are in good condition.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you running those pioneers off the HU or off the amp? That could make a big difference.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Everything is hooked up the right way and its not a 4 channel amp. I have all of the speakers running off of the amp and nothing coming off of the HU. Im going to a radio shop in a few to see what they say. I know they will lie to me but I am going to look anyway. I will listen to you guys first. lol...... thats sad huh?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

I would let the head unit push the mids and the highs, and just use the amp for the sub...thats how I have always hooked up my systems in the past, and they have always been pretty nasty.

Im just stock in my JK for now...but thats just because I just got it
Old 03-27-2007, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

You need to get a 5 channel amp or a 4 channel to go with your 2 channel. Bridge your 2 channel to power only your sub and use the 4 channel to power the front and rear(soundbar) speakers. You are running 5 channels out of 2. Your resistance is too much to give good sound.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
You need to get a 5 channel amp or a 4 channel to go with your 2 channel. Bridge your 2 channel to power only your sub and use the 4 channel to power the front and rear(soundbar) speakers. You are running 5 channels out of 2. Your resistance is too much to give good sound.
What he said....thats way too much for a 2 channel...Get yourself another 4 channel amp. (or 5 and ebay the 2 channel)
Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all of the advice. I will go amp shopping here before too long. I was thinking I had too much stuff running on one amp. Seemed like I kept adding and adding and I think I was powering my neighbors car with my amp at one point. LOL.....To be honest, I never really cared how clean it was til I heard my wifes JK and I knew I had to do something. I will keep ya`ll posted on what I get

Quick Reply: JK sound in my TJ?