Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

JK Base Radio ??? USB ???

Old 07-29-2012, 11:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And according to Jeep 's build and price page this is what the connectivity group is:

Electronic Vehicle Information Center
Remote USB Port (Unavailable with some configurations)
Uconnect® Voice Command with Bluetooth (Unavailable with some configurations)
Communicate virtually hands-free with an in-vehicle, voice-activated system that allows you to talk using your Bluetooth®-compatible phone.

also note below this is the option (from Jeeps build a jeep thing)for upgrading to the RHB 430N where under uconnect it says optional:
(this optional is the connectivity package)

AM/FM radio with CD/DVD/MP3 format capability, audio jack, and 40GB HDD (28GB available) with USB port for uploading files.6.5" Touch Screen for Displaying Music Info and Uploaded Pictures. Steering Wheel Music Controls. Garmin® Navigation. SiriusXM Satellite Radio and Travel Link with 1 Year Trial Included. Optional: Uconnect® Voice Command with Bluetooth® Bluetooth® Streaming Audio Additional USB Port for Media Devices Premium Audio System Rear Seat Entertainment Capable (Select Vehicles)
40 GB Hard Drive with 28 GB Available
6.5-Inch Touch-Screen Display
Audio Jack Input for Mobile Devices
Every Uconnect® Media Center radio is equipped with a 3.5 mm Audio Jack that lets you play music from any audio source (MP3 players, electronic book readers, etc.) through your car's speakers. Just connect a cable from your player's headphone jack to the Audio Jack.

GPS Navigation
Remote USB Port

Last edited by ccuchris; 07-29-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All of the Mitsubishi Radios (RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB) all are radios alone. They all take an external Uconnect module which is located below the radio and behind the HVAC control head. The Uconnect has the remote mounted USB connector ran to it from the center console and also the mic thast is in the drivers "A" pillar. If the vehicle came without the Uconnect option then it will have the console without the USB connector. These are the 2 options (with or without Uconnect).
The only radios that come with the Uconnect built enternally are the HArman radios (730 & 730N). If you go from the base Mitsubishi radios to a Harman radio, then you will install an external mic and not use the one in the drivers "A" pillar, (unless you have the knowledge on adapting the factory mic to the Harman radio (which is a superior mic to the external mic).
The RHB is a direct plug and play install provided that your base radio already has Sirius. If not then you'll be adding the Sirius ant & extension lead from the radio to the Antenna.

Originally Posted by ccuchris
The RHB 430N does not have uconnect phone built into the headunit. It might have some sort of bluetooth streaming but I jsut did thisz last week. There is a little box mounted behind the AC controls. The USB plugs into this box as does the center plug from the Radio(mic) I switched from RES 130 pulled the headunit out unplugged the two plugs. Plugged the RHB 430N in cycled the engine and everything works.

Now your telling me what about having to get a mic? I already have a mic the mic comes out of that little box behind the AC controls (the uconnect module) and goes up the pillar. I Double checked this because having two uconnect systems in the car can confuse the car and make niether of them work. I hvae changed RES to RER RES to RHR in cars that came with uconnect already and cars that had no uconnect at all (base models) and the reaszon I went with the RHB instead of the RHR was not to have to do a bunch of rerouting or adding a mic mirror but more importantly I knew I couldnt get my fat hand behind the AC controls to get the uconnect box out and stretch the usb cable from that box to the RHR.

But maybe I m just some nut who likes making up stories...............
Old 07-30-2012, 10:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xsdbs
All of the Mitsubishi Radios (RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB) all are radios alone. They all take an external Uconnect module which is located below the radio and behind the HVAC control head. The Uconnect has the remote mounted USB connector ran to it from the center console and also the mic thast is in the drivers "A" pillar. If the vehicle came without the Uconnect option then it will have the console without the USB connector. These are the 2 options (with or without Uconnect).
The only radios that come with the Uconnect built enternally are the HArman radios (730 & 730N). If you go from the base Mitsubishi radios to a Harman radio, then you will install an external mic and not use the one in the drivers "A" pillar, (unless you have the knowledge on adapting the factory mic to the Harman radio (which is a superior mic to the external mic).
The RHB is a direct plug and play install provided that your base radio already has Sirius. If not then you'll be adding the Sirius ant & extension lead from the radio to the Antenna.
thats what i said but in a long drawn out Southern way
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, you did.

Originally Posted by ccuchris
thats what i said but in a long drawn out Southern way
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Ok thanks guys lol,

That was a lot of info, I went with a base radio with connectivity so it has a USB, on to the next question lol

I have the base radio (without alpine amp 2013) but have connectivity package, I want to add a 5 channel amp and upgrade the speakers, I’d like to add a Summing LOC to the factory radio, is there any place to splice in without cutting the factory wires behind the radio?

I’m guessing the system I have is just high level speaker outputs from the factory radio, I don’t think it has any low level outputs.

If the only place to splice is the back of the radio i would rather buy a male and female connector and make my own adapter (if possible)

Anybody have any tricks I can use to make this a clean install (No wire taps or splices)?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 12:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default usb thumb drive

I have a mygig rhw with a usb port on cack side.How much gb thumb drive does it support?,
Thanls.

Quick Reply: JK Base Radio ??? USB ???