Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jeep sound

Old 06-07-2014, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep sound

What kind of sound sustem did you guys put in your jeeps? And dod you upgrade all of your speakers or only certain ones
Old 06-07-2014, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depends how much money you want to spend. I did a full upgrade. Everything from the headunit to the subwoofer ,2 amps ,replaced all the speakers and ran all new wiring. Very pleased with the end result. A stereo that can actually be enjoyed with the top off at highway speeds
Old 06-08-2014, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Softtailfreek
Depends how much money you want to spend. I did a full upgrade. Everything from the headunit to the subwoofer ,2 amps ,replaced all the speakers and ran all new wiring. Very pleased with the end result. A stereo that can actually be enjoyed with the top off at highway speeds
Did you do a write up by chance?
Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I didnt do a write up but would be glad to help with any questions you have
Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have all JL audio (I'll get you model numbers later today) except head unit. I live in San Diego so I like to keep it looking stock. And I have a 10" sub that is the only thing that's visible.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Softtailfreek
What kind of sub do you have? Did you place it in the stock location?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beeks1021

What kind of sub do you have? Did you place it in the stock location?
I have a rockford p2 10 inch in small box
Old 06-09-2014, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Kenwood DNX8990, two sets of Focal KRX2's, two Rockford Fosgate T2 12" woofers, one JL Audio 1000/1 for the subs, two Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 amps for the Focal's, Resonant Engineering "Bass Mechanic", a stinger 2500 battery, a stinger 1800 battery, PAC battery isolator, and Stinger 8000 series RCA's and wiring. Lots of Dynamat and Focal tile.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking about marine speakers ya know just in case. I wonder if they sound any different than normal speakers
Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fyi, the stock infinity sub location is not a good place to try to upgrade if you are looking for "booming" bass, or bass you can feel at the least. It is .33 cubic feet of airspace in a flexible plastic housing. Give it some power with an amp and it just barely sounds better. With the jeep off and parked it may sound acceptable, but with the motor on and while driving the bass just disappears.
I've been tossin the idea around for over a year of how to get bass and keep space, keep it discreet, etc. Honestly it's gonna be one or the other, bass or cargo room. My humble opinions on the following solutions i've seen:

>Jl audio stealth box: way too much $$$. Really, waaaayyy too much $$$.
>Mtx enclosure that fits in dead space between the roll bar in the back: too cumbersome and do u want that hangin out with the top off? And.. It's plastic.
>Utilizing the small cargo area under the rear floor deck: i've seen water pooled up in there with no idea how it got there. Not taking a chance with that. And it stows all my recovery gear.
>A tailgate door box(attached to the tailgate): too easy to damage considering anything in ur cargo area could slam into it since it takes up a whole side of the cargo box. Of course you could be uber careful and always tie things down, etc.. But really, who would do that every time. And just while putting things in amd out of there you could damage it.
>Under seat subs: they are plastic, for the most part, they are under a seat where water could collect (if u never wheel or take the top off maybe it's a good choice) also, i like the cargo space under the front seats. If u put a box under the rear seats, u cant fold then down anymore without removing the box.

So after all that, i decided on getting a smaller ported box with a 12". It is approximately 2square feet. I can just unplug the speaker wires and take it out if absolutely necessary. I had a connection cup installed into the stock infinity sub so i can wire that up quickly (like 5 seconds) if i do need to remove the box. Im considering rigging some sort of ratchet strap system to lift and hold the box against the top rear rollbar for emergencies when im somewhere i cant just remove the box for more cargo space.

Quick Reply: Jeep sound