Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

jeep is dead, please help!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On newer vehicles you want to ALWAYS disconnect the NEGATIVE BATTERY terminal first. and the NEGATIVE terminal is the last one you should reconnect to complete the electrical circuit.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar experience recently, but I was on the trail when it died. The battery had a bad cell.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tspevacek
On newer vehicles you want to ALWAYS disconnect the NEGATIVE BATTERY terminal first. and the NEGATIVE terminal is the last one you should reconnect to complete the electrical circuit.
Why is this? I don't recall seeing this warning in the manual yet they feel obligated to tell us to go two clicks past "on" for the gas cap. Did I miss it in the manual or what's the reasoning behind it??
Old 01-22-2014, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

More of a safety thing than anything else... If you remove the negative clamp and inadvertently complete a circuit to ground, there will be no current flow because the ground clamp is already grounded. Shorting of the positive terminal to ground will then produce no current flow because the current has no return path to the negative post.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 AM
JK Junkie

So then that would be all vehicles, not just newer ones. I was waiting for "the computer will fry instantaneously". I'm smarter than the average bear so it didn't occur to me to accidentally short circuit the system when removing cables.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
So then that would be all vehicles, not just newer ones. I was waiting for "the computer will fry instantaneously". I'm smarter than the average bear so it didn't occur to me to accidentally short circuit the system when removing cables.
If someone isn't paying attention, say, and drops the ratchet while loosening the positive cable terminal, it could accidentally short out to adjacent metal.

Quick Reply: jeep is dead, please help!