Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

jeep is dead, please help!

Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cables were corroded also. Had to replace them.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so I tried to jump the car it wouldn't turn over. Sooo... I went to take out the battery, I disconnected the negative terminal. I began to disconnect the positive terminal and I heard and saw a big spark! There's life to the battery!!! I don't know what on earth happened but I tried to start it and it started right up!!! It's a mystery to me, I just hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:56 PM
JK Newbie

Good to hear. I'd double check everything is connected well (no movement) and there isn't corrosion or other debris present on the terminals or connectors. Otherwise it'll happen again, usually at a very inconvenient time and location

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2014, 11:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dozer311
I disconnected the negative terminal. I began to disconnect the positive terminal and I heard and saw a big spark! There's life to the battery!!!
Congrats on not getting electrocuted! and for your jeep working, however next time i'd take the positive off first before removing your safety(ground).

Mine has done this a couple times as well.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure your cables are tight on the other end not just at the battery. When you moved battery and something sparked makes me think you had something loose somewhere. Just saying.....
Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

If you disconnected the negative then you should not have gotten a spark! Something doesn't sound right there but wasn't there so I just don't know.

My old Jeep would do something similar, its issue was the positive wire lug was worn out and didn't make good connection, I could just pop the hood and hit it with something insulated then jump back in and crank it up. Its possible there is an issue with your battery wires.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like typical corroded battery terminals. BTW, I would still have the battery tested so that you can replace it on your schedule, and not have to be rescued or towed later.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

The mentions about the corrosion and loose connections are spot on. Make sure to check the connections at the battery for tightness and corrosion periodically. We put our machines through hell sometimes (and even in daily use) and they will work themselves loose even with upgraded connectors. Also be sure to check where the ground connects to the chassis occasionally too. A loose ground lug here can cause all sorts of gremlins in the electrical components.

Glad you got back up and running again!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with all the posts with dirty terminals or loose connections. I can't even begin to tell you how many trucks at work come in then don't start because of a dirty terminal. Dash lights going out usually points to an undercharged battery or a bad connection. Clean that battery up and make sure all connections are tight!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having a similar problem...
I replace the battery, the starter, checked fuses, tried the jumper cables grounding trick, nothing

Finally, i went out and bought a multimeter, 12v to the large wire on the starter, nothing to the small one when the key is turned...
I keep reading that maybe its the tipm? my local stealership wants $450 for a new one.

Does anyone know how to test the ignition? Any help is appreciated

Quick Reply: jeep is dead, please help!