Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Jeep caught on fire and now i have a CEL

Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

isnt there an o2 sensor or 2 near the converter that the wiares mightve burned? or melted?
-Christopher
Old 01-08-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitly check your o2 wires. Normally it should have a code if an o2 isnt checking out. Have you "reset" (pull negative off battery, wait a few seconds, connect back) the ECU to see if the CEL comes on again?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well i just went out and looked under it and the heat shield between the tranny and passendger side is pretty burnt up. The lower o2 sensor looks like its ok, but in the same general area on the tranny theres a jumble of wires that look burnt. Whatever harness that is, it goes into the tranny in that area. What is that and why wouldnt it throw a CEL but no code?

The fire i saw was at the front by the radiator on the passenger side, didnt even know anything was burning back there.

EDIT: The CEL didnt come on until almost 2 days after the fire, i reset the computer and put a few more miles on the jeep and then it came back on. I doubt the dealership will cover it since a fire caused it.

Last edited by The Diesel; 01-09-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WRAITHYJEEP
touch a catalytic converter or cross over manifold pipe after the jk has been running for 30 minutes. then let me know if dry grass/ hay can catsh fire from 1100* heat contact.

this is also the likely cause of the jk fire hot trans fluid spews out dip stick tube on to cross over manifold.

Absolutely! I once saw a car that was revved up repeatedly in a garage bay, for diagnosing a hesitation, or something of that sort. Anyhow, there was suddenly an orange glow UNDER the car. The Catalytic converter was completely orange from the high heat!! Plus, in our rural location, farmers occasionally set wheat fields on fire by driving their trucks in to pickup wagons, refuel combines, or whatever.

Never EVER leave a vehicle running, while stopped in tall dry grass or weeds!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SuperSaiks
Regardless there shouldn't be any heat source thats capable of starting a fire don't park over grass etc thats a joke. Chrysler needs to look into this ASAP.
No, they don't, because they already know about it, and so should you.

They warn you in the owner's manual not to do what the OP did. He (or she) is being adult enough to not try and pin it on Jeep, which is commendable.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSaiks
Regardless there shouldn't be any heat source thats capable of starting a fire don't park over grass etc thats a joke. Chrysler needs to look into this ASAP.
This is straight out of the owner's manual. Every vehicle I own - car, truck, or ATV - has a similar warning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	5263

I also commend The Diesel for taking responsibility for own actions and not blaming the manufacturer. Need more stand-up kind of people like that!!!

As far as the code goes - sorry. Don't know. The only lame suggestion I can offer is to keep looking for that burnt or shorting wire. Good luck!!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, it was an accident. I knew the grass was really dry but it wasnt that tall, it was maybe knee height. We even walked out the are and everything was dry. Turned out i hit a giant spot of soft clay and all 4 wheels just sunk. When that happened it brought the jeep much closer to the ground and the exhaust was sitting on the grass. It doesnt help that i have the exhaust dumped short on the pass side either.

Anyway, although it was an accident i guess it was my fault. Its all part of wheelin, you gotta pay to play. DC would never cover sommething like that lol.

Quick Reply: Jeep caught on fire and now i have a CEL