Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

J W Speaker headlights........... you need these in your life!!!!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lensstj
Do you have a 2012? The handful of people I have seen post up say you have to grind the mount for the airbag sensor.
yeah, i have heard that the airbag sensor is a bit more of a pain to deal with in the 2012's compared to the 2011's.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Imposter_LRF
So the harness that they say is included at Rebel offroad does not allow for "plug and play"?
They have yet to respond to my question about this but generally vendors do not include a true harness they come with a pigtail that does not have the capacitor inline to prevent the flickering. So to answer your question it will plug in but it wont fix the flickering. If you want to fix that you will have to buy a true harness or make one.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I have a 2011, but they are idential to the 2012 for the bucket design. You are not required to grind the mount. What they are talking about is that the airbag sensor sits horizontally and there is a small shelf below it. The self was not present in the earlier models, that is why they could rotate the sensor with ease. It was added in 2011 and 2012. You can either grind off the self as some have done, snap it off with some needle nose pliers. Or what I did was just loosen the nut holding it on enough that the sensor can slip over the lil shelf, rotate it, then retighten the nut.
Understanding what you are saying the 2012's are different from the 11's.... In fact what is funny to me is now on my second 2012 some things have changed just within 2012.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understanding what you are saying the 2012's are different from the 11's.... In fact what is funny to me is now on my second 2012 some things have changed just within 2012.
Yes of course things have changed. I have installed them on my 2011 and also on a friends 2012 (after he saw mine) and can tell you the bucket design and location of the airbag sensor is identical for both years.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

They have yet to respond to my question about this but generally vendors do not include a true harness they come with a pigtail that does not have the capacitor inline to prevent the flickering. So to answer your question it will plug in but it wont fix the flickering. If you want to fix that you will have to buy a true harness or make one.
Rebel off road sells an adapter, not a harness. Technically it is plug and play and your headlights will funciton. But you will have some flicker, it is up to you if you can live with it or not.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am an engineer by trade so I just built my own. Typicall they run about 150 dollars.
At that price, Ill be building my own as well. Looks fairly straightforward, male H13 to tap into stock control to relays with leads from battery, then two H4 females for lamps. I wouldn't think I need any diodes with this?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShakyJake
At that price, Ill be building my own as well. Looks fairly straightforward, male H13 to tap into stock control to relays with leads from battery, then two H4 females for lamps. I wouldn't think I need any diodes with this?
Add an inline fuse, some 12 gage wire, acouple crimp on lugs, and some heat shrink and youre good to go. Total materials is probably around 40 dollars.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Add an inline fuse, some 12 gage wire, acouple crimp on lugs, and some heat shrink and youre good to go. Total materials is probably around 40 dollars.
Thanks, I love electrical projects! I already have most of the parts on hand. Awhile back I added Roundeye lights to my old FJ40 and bought the harness. Seems pretty much the same so I'll use that as a model. It did make quite a difference with those lights...dangerously dim beforehand. I don't really need the JWSs to be brighter, but I'm thinking a constant voltage is probably better for them... may make them last longer.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a quick DIY on making your own headlight harness.

Ensure you get 40A SPDT relays, that way you can connect one headlight to 87 and one headlight to 87a. I got mind on Amazon cheap. They may not be as high quality as the Hella relays that others use, but really a relay is a relay. If it goes bad I have spares.
amazon.com/AGT-Relay-Harness-Bosch-40AMP-HRNS/dp/B005HFYE1O/ref=pd_vtp_e_4

Last edited by Sharkey; 02-01-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a quick DIY on making your own headlight harness.

Ensure you get 40A SPDT relays, that way you can connect one headlight to 87 and one headlight to 87a. I got mind on Amazon cheap. They may not be as high quality as the Hella relays that others use, but really a relay is a relay. If it goes bad I have spares.
amazon.com/AGT-Relay-Harness-Bosch-40AMP-HRNS/dp/B005HFYE1O/ref=pd_vtp_e_4

Thanks for the diagram and link! Very useful.

Last edited by Sharkey; 02-01-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: J W Speaker headlights........... you need these in your life!!!!