Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

J W Speaker headlights........... you need these in your life!!!!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
The bucket design for the 2011 and 2012 is the same. The additional ring wasnt to avoid cutting but because the 2012 engine bay was slightly more cramped.

Really trimming the headlight ring is really easy with a dremel, takes about 30 minutes.
The post I read from the person who did it was in order to avoid having to mod the air bag sensor location. It also avoids cutting the stock ring because your adding a new one. This is actually the route I am looking to take but right now it looks like in order to get the plastic ring you have to buy the whole headlight assembly... It would be great if someone knows how to get a plastic ring just buy itself.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the a proper harness required for LED headlamp operation.

A H13 to H4 adapter will essentially do nothing for you.

??? My JKSpeakers work fine with the simple adapter pigtail. They don't draw much so I did not find the need for new wiring. I've had them almost a year now this way. Only flicker I notice is at idle, when other electronics are turned on.

Last edited by ShakyJake; 01-31-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShakyJake
??? My JKSpeakers work fine with the simple adapter pigtail. They don't draw much so I did not find the need for new wiring. I've had them almost a year now this way. Only flicker I notice is at idle, when other electronics are turned on.
That is the flicker everyone is talking about. Some people can live with it other can not. Personally for the price you pay for the lights I don't want to see the flicker and I don't want oncoming traffic or traffic I am behind to see it and miss-interpret the flicker as flashing lights. It is hard to see it yourself as you drive down the road but that doesn't mean it isn't there.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lensstj
The post I read from the person who did it was in order to avoid having to mod the air bag sensor location. It also avoids cutting the stock ring because your adding a new one. This is actually the route I am looking to take but right now it looks like in order to get the plastic ring you have to buy the whole headlight assembly... It would be great if someone knows how to get a plastic ring just buy itself.
Ah, I was unaware it would avoid trimming the bucket. But to be clear, you dont actually move the airbag sensor. You simply loosen the bolt, rotate the sensor down 45 degrees and retighten the bolt.

The only place that would carry that is the dealer, I am sure if you call them they can provide you with the ring. From the other install I saw, I believe the rings run about 80 dollars for the set from the dealer.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, the JW Speakers do have inline capacitors and help to regulate the flicker and it is not horrible in stock form. I actually ran without a harness for about 2 months and it is a small amout of flicker. But like the other guy said, if I am paying that much I want it done right. Also if you do install a headlight harness your headlights will actually be about 20% brighter. The stock PWM varies from 4volts to 12 volts, where the harness provides a constant 14volts.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ah, I was unaware it would avoid trimming the bucket. But to be clear, you dont actually move the airbag sensor. You simply loosen the bolt, rotate the sensor down 45 degrees and retighten the bolt.

The only place that would carry that is the dealer, I am sure if you call them they can provide you with the ring. From the other install I saw, I believe the rings run about 80 dollars for the set from the dealer.
Do you have a 2012? The handful of people I have seen post up say you have to grind the mount for the airbag sensor.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, the JW Speakers do have inline capacitors and help to regulate the flicker and it is not horrible in stock form. I actually ran without a harness for about 2 months and it is a small amout of flicker. But like the other guy said, if I am paying that much I want it done right. Also if you do install a headlight harness your headlights will actually be about 20% brighter. The stock PWM varies from 4volts to 12 volts, where the harness provides a constant 14volts.
Thanks, Looks like a reasonable addition. How much did you pay for this harness?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

That is the flicker everyone is talking about. Some people can live with it other can not. Personally for the price you pay for the lights I don't want to see the flicker and I don't want oncoming traffic or traffic I am behind to see it and miss-interpret the flicker as flashing lights. It is hard to see it yourself as you drive down the road but that doesn't mean it isn't there.
I couldn't deal with the flicker, especially for what they cost...
Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have a 2012? The handful of people I have seen post up say you have to grind the mount for the airbag sensor.
I have a 2011, but they are idential to the 2012 for the bucket design. You are not required to grind the mount. What they are talking about is that the airbag sensor sits horizontally and there is a small shelf below it. The self was not present in the earlier models, that is why they could rotate the sensor with ease. It was added in 2011 and 2012. You can either grind off the self as some have done, snap it off with some needle nose pliers. Or what I did was just loosen the nut holding it on enough that the sensor can slip over the lil shelf, rotate it, then retighten the nut.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, Looks like a reasonable addition. How much did you pay for this harness?
I am an engineer by trade so I just built my own. Typicall they run about 150 dollars.

Quick Reply: J W Speaker headlights........... you need these in your life!!!!