Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Isn't the off button for ESP suppose to shut it off

Old 08-24-2007, 11:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isn't the off button for ESP suppose to shut it off

I was wondering if it was just me. I turn the button off and when I take a round turn getting off the freeway at 35 mph the ESP comes on. What is the off button for????????
Old 08-25-2007, 01:39 AM
JK Freak

When the ESP off button is pushed is the button supposed to light up ?
Old 08-25-2007, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

So when you hit it and it lights up that means it's been detuned?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepnoob
So when you hit it and it lights up that means it's been detuned?
I hit it and it doesn't light up............

Last edited by clubber; 08-26-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
yes but it doesnt turn it totally off . the only way for it to be totally off in in 4lo
If you press and hold the button when it is in 4hi, it will turn completely off. I didn't think you could turn it completely off in 4lo
Old 08-25-2007, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Esp

Press and hold hold hold my takes quite awhile to turn completely off in 4 hi but it does.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

To turn the ESP fully off, press and hold the ESP button for 5-14 seconds while driving UNDER 10 MPH. A chime should sound when it is fully off. If you drive over 40 mph it will return to Partially-Off from Fully off.

In addition, for modified vehicles if the ESP is giving you crap just driving around, you can have Chrysler/Jeep service techs turn ESP fully fully off - which will keep it off even through key cycles (see second quote below).

Originally Posted by Chrysler
Fully On Fully engaged, active ESP means all modes — all active, , the time. This is called the Fully ON mode and should be used for normal driving. The Fully ON mode completely activates the Antilock Brake System, Low-Speed Traction Control, All-Speed Traction Control, ESP Yaw Control, and Electronic Roll Mitigation. By default, whenever the vehicle is started, ESP is Fully ON or fully active.

Partially OFF
The Partially OFF mode provides less automatic control by modifying the all-speed traction controland
ESP yaw control thresholds. This will allow for limited wheel slip for high-performance driving
situations, when stuck in deep snow or driving off-road.

Fully OFF
The Fully OFF mode completely disables All-Speed Traction Control, ESP Yaw Control and Electronic
Roll Mitigation. This mode is reserved for high-performance vehicles and off-road-capable vehicles
when in four-wheel-drive mode.

Note that regardless of the mode, the antilock brake system and low-speed traction control
remain active — all the time.

Originally Posted by Chrysler Again
A special ESP application exists for owners of 2007 Jeep® Wranglers who wish to modify their vehicles by raising the vehicle and adding larger wheels and tires. Modifying the vehicle in this way may cause ESP to behave abnormally. The Modified Vehicle ESP application will stay in Fully OFF mode all the time, disabling all ESP functions with the exception of ABS and low-speed traction control. ESP will not revert to “on” with the key cycle.

Unlike the other vehicle types, ESP for a modified Jeep® Wrangler requires specific procedures by the Service Department and customer to turn ESP Fully OFF and then Fully ON again.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Can you just pull the fuse for the system?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Removing the fuse from the system will also disable the Anti-lock brakes and the low-speed traction control.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gibeon
A special ESP application exists for owners of 2007 Jeep® Wranglers who wish to modify their vehicles by raising the vehicle and adding larger wheels and tires. Modifying the vehicle in this way may cause ESP to behave abnormally. The Modified Vehicle ESP application will stay in Fully OFF mode all the time, disabling all ESP functions with the exception of ABS and low-speed traction control. ESP will not revert to “on” with the key cycle.

Unlike the other vehicle types, ESP for a modified Jeep® Wrangler requires specific procedures by the Service Department and customer to turn ESP Fully OFF and then Fully ON again.

Gibeon, where'd ya get that quote from? Is it in the manual somewhere....I've searched it over and over again, but no luck. I'd like to have the actual Chrysler documentation with me since I forsee the service department giving me shit and trying to get out of disabling this godsend of a feature.

Quick Reply: Isn't the off button for ESP suppose to shut it off