Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

iPod Touch issues

Old 01-18-2008, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Touch issues

Has anyone had success connecting an iPod Touch through the USB port on a MyGig? All mine seems to do is attempt to charge the battery and I can't seem to access the songs on it at all.

Thanks in Advance
Old 01-18-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

That USB port is for accessing files on dumb flash media only (such as "thumb" drives). It is not for the iPod.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

My Creative Zen 30 gig works just fine through the USB port so I was wondering it it's an issue with certain models of other MP3 players. I used my buddies 30 gig iPod with success and am going to try his Zune 80 gig tomorrow as well.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's because your Zen uses Mass Storage Mode so that it appears as a dumb flash drive to hosts supporting Mass Storage Mode. You can enable "disk mode" on iPods via iTunes, however I'm not sure if this setting carries over to non-iTunes hosts. Give it a shot.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can try this:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651

Let us know if you get it to work... that would be pretty cool.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Appears that the new iTouch and iPhone models cant be used as mass storage ... dratt! There's no setting in iTunes for it even after the new firmware update. After reading some iTouch forums even jailbreaking them wont allow them to be used for mass storage devices. Good thought though. Next week when I install my ARTS kit and have the dash apart I'm going to look for a stealthy way to add an external laptop hard drive to my MyGig. Already have a 160 gig one in an aluminum case waiting to go in.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought a new Touch and what a total crock of $h!t. I paid for the music, movies, etc. I should be able to easily transfer it to whatever I want. Just glad I kept my old iPod but wishing I would have skipped on the MyGig for a more useful system!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
JK Freak

I'm not exactly electronically inclined. That's why I have to use one of these:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN...Q&mco=NzcxNzI2

But if your music in in the itunes format and you want it on the mygig HD, just convert it to mp3 format. There's a couple ways you can do it. Here's something I copied because it's too much to type:

Converting Non-Protected Files
You can use iTunes to convert the media files to MP3 format. To do so, you need to -
Open the iTunes and move to 'Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Importing' and then change the 'Import Using' to 'MP3 Encoder'.
Save the settings.
Go to the library and right-click on a music track and choose the option which reads 'Convert Selection to MP3'. If the track is not protected then you'll be able to convert it to MP3 format. However, if the track is a protected one then iTunes will pop-up a window telling you that the protected track cannot be converted to other formats.

Converting Protected File
Burn the track(s) to a compact disc and make sure that you burn an audio CD and not a data CD.
Use the iTunes to access the audio CD and add the media files to the library.
Right click the media file and select 'Convert Selection to MP3'.
If you've a large number of media files to be converted to MP3 format then you may even use a CD Emulator to simulate a real CD burner to avoid the multiple CD-R discs.

Quick Reply: iPod Touch issues