Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ipod in jeep

Old 12-19-2007, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod in jeep

how do you hook ipod into the jeep and what do you need to do it
Old 12-19-2007, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

for regular iPod I use a simple headphone to headphone jack. For the iPhone its on the cradle then the same cord
Old 12-20-2007, 04:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a regular quality head phone to head phone stereo cord any length (mine reaches the back seat) you wish goes in the head phone jack of iPod and into the aux jack on the stereo unit.
the girl friend does it all the time.
cheers
Old 12-20-2007, 05:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kcpanther
how do you hook ipod into the jeep and what do you need to do it
1/8" stereo cable, male to male - a few bucks at any radio shack.

That's all you need!
Old 12-20-2007, 05:29 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Pick up a pocket dock from Sendstation so you can use line level out for the best sound. Everything else is the same as everyone has suggested.
Other wise if you plug into the headphone jack you have to have the ipods volume cranked up too high to hear it.

Last edited by dsy; 12-20-2007 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
Not true. I keep mine at 3/4 volume and the sound is fine. I can even turn it way down and still be fine. It has a lot to do with the quality of the mp3/mp4's you have. I have a few low quality mp3's on my iPod, and when I hit those I have to turn the volume up. But for good quality files, even 1/2 volume is enough (though I like to listen loud, so I have the volume at 3/4 and the stereo's volume full on )

If you go above approx 90% of the iPod's output volume, with a good quality file, it will distort.
If you were connecting components in a home system you would not use a headphone out jack if there was line level out. Why do it in the Jeep?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

There's also a Mopar iPod cable to interface with your HU without using the aux jack. You can't control it tho from the HU.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsy
If you were connecting components in a home system you would not use a headphone out jack if there was line level out. Why do it in the Jeep?
I agree with N2rock - a dock is not necessary. I go into my ipod settings and set the max volume for about 90% myself..and it always sounds fine to me. And at home I don't dock my ipod, I just use an 1/8" to composite pair cable and works like a champ - and I have a high end system. No need to waste money for unnecessary crap.

I mean we are listening to compressed music here...

Originally Posted by N2rock
Simply because I had the male/male cable laying around already, and once I hooked it up it sounded fine. So I saw no reason to go spend money unnecessarily.

Besides-
male/male cable = $20
Mopar iPod integration kit = $100+
$20 for a cable? what did you buy gold plated? ratshack special - $6.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Aolec
There's also a Mopar iPod cable to interface with your HU without using the aux jack. You can't control it tho from the HU.
The Mopar integration kit is FM bound....if you are concerned about coming out of a headphone jack for sound quality loss, why one would want FM bound is beyond me. Couple that to it places the iPod in the glove box with NO radio control of the iPod (meaning you need to access the iPod in the glovebox when wanting to change anything)....and well
A simple 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable as noted is a better solution.

If you are wanting a more "permanent" solution, many of us have went with the Belkin (or other brand's similar models) iPod "stalks" that plug into the cigarette lighter, and provide a flexible "stand" for the iPod. The iPod plugs into it, it offers a line level out connection, and will keep the iPod charged.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran an $8.00 radio shack cable around the perimeter of the dash console. It just so happens that it tucks neatly into to gap around the dash console. (i need to take pics of this). I installed an $8.00 bracket that holds the ipod (nano) where the power window switches would be (i have manual windows). I'll get some pics going soon. it's pretty clean for a 16 dollar mod.

Quick Reply: ipod in jeep