Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

iPhone/iPod Mount - based on Griffen TuneFlex

Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone/iPod Mount - based on Griffen TuneFlex

This is a simple iPhone/iPod adapted mount I cooked up to use in my JK.

I bought a “Griffen TuneFlex AUX SmartClick” - this gives you a gooseneck holder that uses the iPhone/iPod dock connection to both charge the phone and makes use of the line out connecter - this tends to sound better than the headphone jack.

At first I just used the gooseneck - but it kept falling over on bumps which was mildly irritating.

After this went on a while I figure out a quick way to rig this so it worked just right. I went in my garage and hunted up a small 1 foot bungie cord and after screwing around with it made this workable “adaption.” Luckily the circular vent has a decently pronounced lip to attach the hooks to.

Benefits are that this holds the gooseneck upright and secure while also acting as a shock absorber for the phone and mount in the rough stuff.

NOTE: This may not be so great an idea while running the heater. It tends to make the phone very hot (as it is right in front of the heater vent) - this is probably NOT a good idea. AC seems fine as it cools the phone down.

1 - The FINAL LOOK - unobtrusive depending on the color of the bungie used.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Full In Place.jpg
Views:	1821
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	74017

2 - Bungie Cord (I used 1 foot and had to wrap it a few time to make it shorter)

Name:	3-Bungie wrapped.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	74019

3 - This is hooked into the vent, both hooks should have equal pressure - if one hook is slack it will fall out.

Name:	2-Bungie detail.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	74018

4 - I attached the remote to the brake lever which is easy to access.

Name:	4-Remote on Stick.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	74020

So far this is working like a charm. Also it is easy to disconnect and stash. Hope this helps my fellow modders!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Just an additional note. The new iphone 4G works with this if you remove the "bracket/holder" (there are about 8 different ones included with the tuneflex) - it also does charge the iPhone 4G as well.

I thought you needed the bracket holder, but it still holds the unit fine without it.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

That's smart the way you've got the suspension set up. I have the Griffin Tuneflex in my wife's car (Honda Element), so I thought I'd try putting it in my 2010 Wrangler to see if I wanted to buy another one.

However, I'm having 2 major issues.

1. It's noisy as hell. Doesn't sound like the low "ground loop" noise I've heard in other cars, but just static interference. It's doing it in both of the power ports. Not sure why it's doing that.

2. Neither power source is switched. So that means you're constantly pulling power to the charger. Seems like it might run down the battery eventually?

Any way around these issues? Or am I the only one having them?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

A couple of things. The tuneflex comes with adapters that actually aren't so great, I had problems until I removed the adapters and plugged it directly into the stalk. Also, make sure that you are using a good wire to run from the aux on the base (where it plugs into the cigarette lighter) and into the aux input on the head unit. Also make sure to turn up the volume knob which is down at the base and isn't too easy to see.

Also, the tuneflex charges my iPhone4 no problem so no need to switch anything.

Let me know if that helped.

Originally Posted by Blaine23
That's smart the way you've got the suspension set up. I have the Griffin Tuneflex in my wife's car (Honda Element), so I thought I'd try putting it in my 2010 Wrangler to see if I wanted to buy another one.

However, I'm having 2 major issues.

1. It's noisy as hell. Doesn't sound like the low "ground loop" noise I've heard in other cars, but just static interference. It's doing it in both of the power ports. Not sure why it's doing that.

2. Neither power source is switched. So that means you're constantly pulling power to the charger. Seems like it might run down the battery eventually?

Any way around these issues? Or am I the only one having them?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

i have the Custom Bezel Mounting Bracket bought from quadratec Manufacturer Part No: JEE-203-07 . I love it great and it fit perfectly. totally recommend it
Old 07-16-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jjhny
A couple of things. The tuneflex comes with adapters that actually aren't so great, I had problems until I removed the adapters and plugged it directly into the stalk. Also, make sure that you are using a good wire to run from the aux on the base (where it plugs into the cigarette lighter) and into the aux input on the head unit. Also make sure to turn up the volume knob which is down at the base and isn't too easy to see.

Also, the tuneflex charges my iPhone4 no problem so no need to switch anything.

Let me know if that helped.
Actually my "switching" issues was my poor way of saying "I didn't realize that the cig. lighter on the left would power off when the door is opened." Once, I figured that out, the only probably was the persistent electrical static noise.

Anyway, I tried several different cables, but I was still getting static noises with each of them. Not all the time, but once it started it just got worse. It usually got worse the higher I adjusted the volume on the base of the TuneFlex. I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the lighter outlets not being as grounded as they should be.

Either way, I found my solution. Griffin makes a Noise-Reducing cable that works perfectly. Costs a few bucks more than a regular Aux cable (I paid $8 for mine), but the audio is crystal clear now. No hum, no interference.

So now I'm set up and rolling. Even did the little bungee cord for stability. Theoretically, I could have tried grounding the outlet better, but the Griffin cable was a much simpler solution. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Just picked one of these up and its awesome! I had been using a charger cable and separate audio cable and just letting my phone fly around inside my Jeep. I found an easier solution for keeping the mount from moving when cornering or hitting bumps. I turned the base part that is on the swivel all the way around so the base was upside down. Then, instead of having the long tubular extension facing upward, I faced it down. The viewing angle is better and you don't have to worry about the A/C or heat messing with your phone. I'll post a picture if anyone is interested in seeing this.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

No problem. I'm going to try that cable as the one that comes with the tuneflex is only "so-so." The thing with the iPod's are that they use what called a 3.5mm TRRS connector, that's the one that has more than a couple of segments/rings (that's what separates out the stereo signal on the single metal pin). Hard to find the right ones, especially looking for one that has right angles connector to it.

So far the rig works great with the iPhone 4. Charges it properly and the audio is very clear!

Originally Posted by Blaine23
Actually my "switching" issues was my poor way of saying "I didn't realize that the cig. lighter on the left would power off when the door is opened." Once, I figured that out, the only probably was the persistent electrical static noise.

Anyway, I tried several different cables, but I was still getting static noises with each of them. Not all the time, but once it started it just got worse. It usually got worse the higher I adjusted the volume on the base of the TuneFlex. I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the lighter outlets not being as grounded as they should be.

Either way, I found my solution. Griffin makes a Noise-Reducing cable that works perfectly. Costs a few bucks more than a regular Aux cable (I paid $8 for mine), but the audio is crystal clear now. No hum, no interference.

So now I'm set up and rolling. Even did the little bungee cord for stability. Theoretically, I could have tried grounding the outlet better, but the Griffin cable was a much simpler solution. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I might try the bungee idea. I just bought a cradle similar to that and am experiencing the same problem with the lighter adapter not being tight enough and the whole mount tipping.
The cradle came with some kind of adapter ring but it doesn't fit into the outlet with the lighter adapter. Really frustrating considering the price of the cradle.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by homeless
I might try the bungee idea. I just bought a cradle similar to that and am experiencing the same problem with the lighter adapter not being tight enough and the whole mount tipping.
The cradle came with some kind of adapter ring but it doesn't fit into the outlet with the lighter adapter. Really frustrating considering the price of the cradle.
I've been using the bungee for a couple of weeks now, even wheeling it stays put. Just make sure you use the smallest bungee you can get - mine was in a package of several different sizes at Home Depot. You can barely even see it unless you look behind the Tuneflex cradle.

Quick Reply: iPhone/iPod Mount - based on Griffen TuneFlex