Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Iphone and bluetooth

Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iphone and bluetooth

I've got a 2012 JKU with the base stock head unit. I'd like to be able to play music off of my iphone via bluetooth connection but also use one of the stock headunits to avoid attracting unwanted attention. I've done research but just can't seem to find a clear answer. Can anybody let me know which stock head unit I'd need to accomplish this? Would I need to get the Uconnect package as well?

Thanks for your help
Old 09-27-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AUJeep
I've got a 2012 JKU with the base stock head unit. I'd like to be able to play music off of my iphone via bluetooth connection but also use one of the stock headunits to avoid attracting unwanted attention. I've done research but just can't seem to find a clear answer. Can anybody let me know which stock head unit I'd need to accomplish this? Would I need to get the Uconnect package as well?

Thanks for your help
Uconnect is not a Bluetooth package. They put the Uconnect brand on all their stereos now. I was disappointed that my Uconnect, Nav equipped 2013 Rubicon couldn't pair with my phone. The Bluetooth package is extra. You can have it dealer installed for a stupid price (mine quoted $695) or you can buy the kit from someone like Quadratec for $339 and install it yourself, but you still have to take it to the dealer because it takes the StarSCAN tool to activate it. I would print out the install procedures and negotiate them down to .5 hours to push a few buttons and get it working.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

So if I'm understanding you correctly, it doesn't matter which head unit I have, the only way to accomplish what I want is to purchase this expensive kit?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Does it have an aux input? There are several aftermarket 12volt transmitters that will receive your Bluetooth signal and transmit it into your aux input and they're cheap
Old 09-27-2013, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fugg it
Does it have an aux input? There are several aftermarket 12volt transmitters that will receive your Bluetooth signal and transmit it into your aux input and they're cheap
This sounds like a good workaround.

Chrysler really screwed the pooch in this one. Many an irritated forum post across the inter webs.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fugg it

Didn't even think about this option. thanks
Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AUJeep
Didn't even think about this option. thanks
One option is from Sony Ericsson the MW600, I believe they have a newer model now, but this little thing allows you to connect any headphone, or in your case the aux from you head unit, and allow it to use Bluetooth. You will have to have the aux connected at at times so may not be to appealing to the eye but it's what I used to listen to music via Bluetooth before I got my 10a with built in Bluetooth. Check it out its a cool product and very simple option to be able to use your Bluetooth
Old 09-28-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09Rubicon24
One option is from Sony Ericsson the MW600, I believe they have a newer model now, but this little thing allows you to connect any headphone, or in your case the aux from you head unit, and allow it to use Bluetooth. You will have to have the aux connected at at times so may not be to appealing to the eye but it's what I used to listen to music via Bluetooth before I got my 10a with built in Bluetooth. Check it out its a cool product and very simple option to be able to use your Bluetooth
On your suggestion I looked up the Sony MW600 and it appears to be an FM reciever that you plug into your phone. Doesn't look like you can use it as a "middleman" between your phone and the car. And it's $50

Went to Amazon and searched "Bluetooth aux adapter" and after scrolling through the options I landed on one that I think I'll try. It's a GOgroove SMARTmini. $35 and it has a suction cup thing with a microphone so you can make hands free calls as well as run music and whatever else it does.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HardRooster
On your suggestion I looked up the Sony MW600 and it appears to be an FM reciever that you plug into your phone. Doesn't look like you can use it as a "middleman" between your phone and the car. And it's $50 Went to Amazon and searched "Bluetooth aux adapter" and after scrolling through the options I landed on one that I think I'll try. It's a GOgroove SMARTmini. $35 and it has a suction cup thing with a microphone so you can make hands free calls as well as run music and whatever else it does.
It's not only a FM receiver that's just an feature of the product. It will definitely work I used it for about a year in my Jeep to listen to my music from iphone via Bluetooth. The headphones that come with the unit unplug and you can plug in any 3.5 mm headphone or aux cable
Old 09-28-2013, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this I have it in my jeep works perfect for streaming music.
Is small and you never know is there.

http://griffintechnology.com/support/bluetrip-aux

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004KPLS7K

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Last edited by stangmike1; 09-28-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Iphone and bluetooth