Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

IPF Lightbulb Replacement - Help!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPF Lightbulb Replacement - Help!

I have the Jeep Wrangler JK (2007-2012) Head Lamp Conversion Kit (920HJKK) installed in my JK, and just had a bulb die on me. It comes with "IPF H4 Super J Beam 55/60 watt bulbs", and I'm wondering if there's any other bulb I could replace it with? (i.e. something I could pick up at a local auto parts chain). Are all H4 bulbs created equal (aside from wattage)?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

How old is the bulb? If its less than a year it is under warranty and they should send you a new one
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
How old is the bulb? If its less than a year it is under warranty and they should send you a new one
About 2 years old. I've gotten enough use out of it and really should have pre-ordered a new set. Anyway, does anyone know the answer? Do I have to use IPF's bulbs?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Any H4 lamp will work. I have the same headlights and run the silverstars sylvania ultra's. A bit pricey but cheaper than the IPF lamps.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue project
Any H4 lamp will work. I have the same headlights and run the silverstars sylvania ultra's. A bit pricey but cheaper than the IPF lamps.
Awesome, thanks! I imagine I have to buy the sane wattage, right? I think I can't go higher than 55 since I'm still on the factory wiring harness.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed the sylvanias lastnight, since timeliness was important (I don't need another fix it ticket from CHP)... They're... Ok. I installed just 1 at first so I could compare to the IPF bulb, and the IPF one is better, IMO, hands down. The sylvanias have a slightly yellowish look when compared to the IPF's.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bucko
How do you mean, better? Are the IPF's are bighter or is it that the Ultra's are yellowish? I originally bought the IPFs with the Ultras, so i have no comparison
except to stock.
The IPF's put out a very white light with a hint of blue that does make other lights look yellow. Not sure if they are brighter than the ultras but they are bright.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exactly. It's the color temperature that made the IPF look a lot brighter. I just made a nighttime drive all the way from San Diego to OC and i also noticed that the light from the IPF bulb is more diffused than the Sylvanias, and actually the high beams are very different - the Sylvanias put out a much "higher" high beam as far as the angle of projection goes. I'm starting to get used to the new bulbs, but if I had the choice I still like the IPF's better.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it from me...

For raw output, get the Philips XP +80%. And I installed the new Silverstar ZXE bulbs and they have a nice crisp white light in my girl's JK. The IPF blues are just too blue and don't put out as much light as the Ultras. I swapped out the ultras for the ZXE yesterday on her Jeep, and the ZXE put out just as much light and are whiter.

But the disclaimer says that the ZXE will not last as long as a conventional bulb. I say go with the Philips XP bulbs and you will not like the color, but the output is GREAT.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bucko
This always made me curious. People like the HID color temps of the cool blue hue. However, the human eye can better use the wavelengths closer to the red frequencies (oranges and yellows). I don't know if a yellow tint would reduce eye fatigue as compared to the higher kelvins or not???

All the same, I would imagine that would only make a difference on long drives at night.
I actually like the color of the IPF bulbs. They are not overly blue like some of the HID's, but just a hint which to me is a more pleasing color to look at. Side by side makes the factory lights look very yellow. I feel the color of the IPF's keeps me more aware at night

Quick Reply: IPF Lightbulb Replacement - Help!