Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

IPF Headlight Question

Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPF Headlight Question

I'm in the market to upgrade my headlights and was sold on the IPF H4 conversion for the JK. I originally thought there was just the expensive $176.99 version (http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_6100.htm) but then saw someone post a link to another IPF kit that was only $67.99 (http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_1603.htm).

My question is, is it the same headlight/housing in both kits? Is the only difference between the two the fact that one has a bulb and the lower priced one doesn't? If so, that's one expensive pair of bulbs!

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not married to IPF but it seemed to be the best option at its price point. However, indefinitely will look up the shoot out and also Hellas.

Question: does the harness that comes with the light kits pull power as you suggested or no? I'm not quite familiar with how the electrical stuff works in the Jk yet.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by baeteamjk
I'm in the market to upgrade my headlights and was sold on the IPF H4 conversion for the JK. I originally thought there was just the expensive $176.99 version (http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_6100.htm) but then saw someone post a link to another IPF kit that was only $67.99 (http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_1603.htm).

My question is, is it the same headlight/housing in both kits? Is the only difference between the two the fact that one has a bulb and the lower priced one doesn't? If so, that's one expensive pair of bulbs!

Thanks.
Yes same housing with no bulbs. I would get that and the Phillips extreme +80 bulbs. It will be much cheaper
Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide
I know you're asking about IPF's specifically... however there are other better headlights out there. I encourage you to read Hilldweller's "Headlight Shootout" (google it). Personally I'd be looking at Hella's before IPFs (similar price point).

In addition, whatever headlight you do end up going with (unless perhaps LED), I would ensure that it comes with a harness to pull power directly from the battery. You can make one, or order one from Rallylights.
Lol here we go again...
Old 03-08-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Lol here we go again...
I got to this and then laughed.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use the IPF housings with the Philips X-treme bulbs, as mentioned above. I'm happy
Old 03-08-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the clarification on the housing. That's why I was curious because I would rather just get the housing and pick the bulbs I want to use. I figured that combo would be a lot cheaper than the $176.99. BTW, those are some expensive bulbs in that kit. That would make them about $100+ a pair.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the IPF kit, purchased from Northridge 4x4, for two years now and I'm very happy with it
Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking of the IPF's also but after looking at the pictures on hilldwellers headlight shootout the Cibie's are looking pretty good. Thanks for that tip!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Wow, looked at Hilldweller's Headlight Shootout thread and that was pretty eye opening. It does make me double think the IPF route but at the same time, I'm not sure I'm ready to spend over $200 on lighting. The Cibie's look great results wise but having to source the housings (looks like about $150 for a pair), wiring harness and the bulbs that adds up. The IPF with Silvania or other bulbs can be less than $100. Understand that the harness doesn't tap directly into the battery for power but still an upgrade over OEM. Now I'm torn.

Hella housings anyone? Anyone vouch for those?

Quick Reply: IPF Headlight Question