Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

IPF Headlight Owners

Old 09-04-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPF Headlight Owners

I have the h4 conversion kit, installed it in December. Passenger side bulb has burned out. How long of a bulb life is everyone seeing from these? Wondering if mine burned out too fast or if this is about average? Was hoping for a longer life. I am thinking about replacing with the IPF fat boys, anyone have these and are they worth it? Should I look into a different brand then IPF? Where is the best place to buy? I don't have a lot of bulb knowledge so any recommendations would be great.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

My IPF's have been on for about 6 months. No problems yet.

I did run H4 Fatboys and IPF's on my 2004 LJ for 3 years with no burn outs.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the kit Northridge 4x4 sells? If so, I have had mine in since March of 2010 and still burning.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I have the Northridge IPF headlight upgrade kit. I bought it when it was available only with the blue bulbs. I didn't like, so I went to Autozone and picked up a set of Sylvania Halogen bulbs--the cheapest ones they had. Twenty bucks for the pair. The color temp matches the stock fogs. Last year I was running beside Interceptor, who has the IPF with blue bulbs, one night and we did a comparison. While his blue bulbs did make the ground ahead appear whiter, my el cheapos threw out a lot more light.

Bottom line: I don't think you're getting your monies' worth from expensive bulbs. Just replace them with cheap Halogens and be done with it. If you need more light, look into some high quality HIDs.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had mine for a year or so and my passenger light also went out. I took out the headlight and looked at the connector and saw some corrosion on the male pins. I scraped this off and they have been working since. Might take a look before replacing the lights. Worked for me. Really like these lights.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:10 AM
Mat
JK Newbie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I have the Northridge IPF headlight upgrade kit. I bought it when it was available only with the blue bulbs. I didn't like, so I went to Autozone and picked up a set of Sylvania Halogen bulbs--the cheapest ones they had. Twenty bucks for the pair. The color temp matches the stock fogs. Last year I was running beside Interceptor, who has the IPF with blue bulbs, one night and we did a comparison. While his blue bulbs did make the ground ahead appear whiter, my el cheapos threw out a lot more light.

Bottom line: I don't think you're getting your monies' worth from expensive bulbs. Just replace them with cheap Halogens and be done with it. If you need more light, look into some high quality HIDs.

Well, in fact, your el cheapo H4s *DO* throw more light than "blue coated" super expensive snake oil:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...uperwhite.html

He also has another article on why lower kelvin ratings for headlight color is actually more usable, better sight (for example, fogs... also, in France it was even legislation that headlights had to have a yellow tint).

if you want MORE lighting, either get higher wattage H4s (off-road use only... they are not DOT) or get HID 7" replacement PROJECTORS. Not "conversion kits". You must change the whole housing for it to be not only street legal, but also real usable lighting. Conversion kits throw light everywhere, blinding other people and YOU... you think there is more light, but it's closer to your eyes, get your pupil to shrink and effectively SEE LESS far away, where it counts.

In your case, I would just call Daniel Stern and he'll give you good counseling on what to do.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

I thought my drivers side bulb blew. But it turns out it was the wiring harness adaptors. Open your hood and find where your adaptor plugs in to the factory harness. Turn your lights on and wiggle the plug, if your lights flicker on and off, it's the harness. ARB will send you a new harness if you email them.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate the feedback, I'll definitely take a look at the harness and see if there is any corrosion or play. I have been thinking at times that it looks very dim while driving and other times its bright so its very possible it is going on and off randomly and there is a connection issue.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, SO if the harness is good, but the bulb is burnt. Where can you buy replacementS Been googling h4 12V 60/55W IPF Super J Beam all evening and cant find them!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I was hoping to just go pick them up at Wal-Mart or Autozone or something.

I dont like driving with only one headlight. No reason to give incentive for the cops to pull me over so I was
trying to get this done this evening.

I was also considering going back to the stock harness and bulb.

SO while I'm taking the grill off and the ring off the headlamp the lamp pops out of its
seating and the light comes on. I would have sworn the bulb was toast, but it was the harness connection.

For future reference - as its been 2+ years and I forgot that I even did the mod.
The IPF harness changes the bulb to the 3 prong connector instead of the oval connector?
Could I just put a Sylvania 3 prong type bulb into the IPF Harness?

Last edited by C.R.U.S.H.; 11-09-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: IPF Headlight Owners