Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

IPF Headlight Harness Issue

Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just started having issues with my IPF set too (and driver's side to boot). I emailed Dave at Northridge and will see what he says.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Finally go everything fixed up. I ended up just cutting off the stock H13 plugs and hard wiring the H4 plugs on ..... Done
Old 04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was having the same problems with my harness. Glad I found this thread......called ARB the other day and they sent new the harness no questions asked! Got them UPS today!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gundrted
Finally go everything fixed up. I ended up just cutting off the stock H13 plugs and hard wiring the H4 plugs on ..... Done
When you did that which wires go to which? (Any chance of a picture?) I'm thinking hardwiring's the only true fix for this as well.
Edit: Figured it out. Pretty simple when I actually looked at it. =P

I've had my grill off 3 times this week trying to fix these damn things. My stock H13 harness has a burnt connector in it now thanks to the pigtails. Even swapped my original order pigtails out for a set of the "improved" ones that Northridge was nice enough to send my way. Worked for a few hours but fizzled out again the next morning.

I also replaced the bulbs because one of them had actually burnt out on low beam...

Last edited by CdnJeepDan; 12-14-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Is this a new and improved harness or are they sending the same ones. I'm getting these lights for Christmas. I hope it wasn't a mistake...
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got these light with the pre-order from Northridge.

I had one light go out about 3 months ago. I took apart the harness and attached it. It worked until last week. The light went out again and then a day later started working. Then yesterday the other light went out.

So today I bought some dielectric grease took both lights apart at the harness and greased them before reattaching. Of course I tested the lights before I screwed the whole thing back together and they worked fine. After I finished screwing it all together and putting the grill back on I tested them again and both lights did not work. I jiggled the connectors (I was smarter this time and made sure I could touch them from the engine bay without any dissasembly.

Also I do not have a problem with the connectors snaping together. A zip tie would do nothing for my harness.

Now I accidently stumbled across this thread. I guess I should call Northridge4x4 or ARB, but I really hate doing that.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Is this a new and improved harness or are they sending the same ones. I'm getting these lights for Christmas. I hope it wasn't a mistake...
To answer your question, not really sure what you'd be getting for harnesses now.

The harnesses I had on were from the "first run" of IPF's that Northridge ran. The 2007/2008s had issues because their H13 connectors were different than the 2009+ ones. The pigtails wouldn't "snap" lock in place on the older connectors, so most people modified them slightly or tie-wrapped the connectors together. I did both... Northridge sent me a "new" set of pigtails without any fuss. Unfortunately, I think the damage was already done to one of my H13 connectors (visibly burnt at the ground terminal connector) so the new pigtails haven't really helped me.

Still, when the IPF lights are working they're far and above superior to the stock headlights. I don't regret getting them.

Last edited by CdnJeepDan; 12-14-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CdnJeepDan

To answer your question, not really sure what you'd be getting for harnesses now.

The harnesses I had on were from the "first run" of IPF's that Northridge ran. The 2007/2008s had issues because their H13 connectors were different than the 2009+ ones. The pigtails wouldn't "snap" lock in place on the older connectors, so most people modified them slightly or tie-wrapped the connectors together. I did both... Northridge sent me a "new" set of pigtails without any fuss. Unfortunately, I think the damage was already done to one of my H13 connectors (visibly burnt at the ground terminal connector) so the new pigtails haven't really helped me.

Still, when the IPF lights are working they're far and above superior to the stock headlights. I don't regret getting them.
As long as these lights have been out you would think they would have a fix for this problem instead of sending out a bunch of bad harnesses
Old 12-15-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
As long as these lights have been out you would think they would have a fix for this problem instead of sending out a bunch of bad harnesses
Well, I think like most stuff they're probably working fine for 90% of the people that purchased them. The rest are coming out with workarounds or contacting their suppliers for new harnesses. Northridge gave me zero fuss about sending a set of the newer harnesses (at no cost to me).

On the side where my H13 connector was fine the new harness snapped on tight and has been working without fail (so far). On the other side, where the ground contact of the H13 connector showed visible melting/damage, the harness doesn't fit tight... I could pull it completely off even with the red tab pushed in. I had to ty-wrap it in place to get it to stay/work but it failed the next day. I can squish it back together and get it to work as long as I hold it but that makes driving difficult...

So, I'm going to try to either:
a) Keep it stock ready by cutting off and replacing the damaged H13 connector and see if the newer harness will work with it.
b) Cut off the damaged H13 harness and direct wire the H4 harness in place.

Edit: Ended up cutting off the damaged H13 harness and direct wiring the H4 in place. Works fine but I can't go back to stock without finding a replacement H13 connector now.

Last edited by CdnJeepDan; 12-19-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Call, e mail David at Northridge. I'm sure he'll work with you to fix the problem. The first batch of IPS's had a latching problem. They were re-designed and the new ones latch just fine. The tie wraps also work. Good luck

Quick Reply: IPF Headlight Harness Issue