Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

IPF Headlight Harness Issue

Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gijeep
I electrical taped the shit out of the connecters and the drivers side still flickers sometimes.

Response was to email dave @ northridge and he is having IPF send me new connecters... he said that every once in a while it is manufactured slightly wrong and he has a new set sent out and he hasnt heard any more complaints after the new set was sent out.

My answer would be whoever you bought the product from, get new connecters weather or not you have to pay for them or shipping, id try that before cutting connections, especially if you ever plan on trading in the jeep (most likely noone will care or know what you did, but its the right thing to do)
Originally Posted by viking
I have had the same problem. Used the new harness too and still the light would go out. I just then cut off the harnesses and soldered the wires together permanently.
I would keep these lights always so it made sense to get rid of the harness. I will not have a problem from now on.
The OEM plug can be reattached as good as new. Just do not cut the wires to close to the plug. Leave enough room to mak a new splice.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

UPDATE

Some progress was made on my light issue over the weekend.

On Friday I got a small package from my Father with pure nickle anti-seize compound. I put some of that on the connectors and zip tied the heck out of the plugs. Three zip ties per harness. There is still a little flicker on one headlight, but the other seems ok.

I also gave a call to Quadratec and their customer service was spot on. They contacted ARB/IPF and I should have some new harnesses coming in the next week or two.

I'm pretty sure the zip ties will work until I get the new harnesses. I just hope we get some warm weather in Denver so I can install them.

I did stop at the local Checker (or what ever its called now) and they only had dielectic grease. They swore up and down it would work, but after reading the package I beg to differ. No where does it say has any conductive properties (like was stated here). I'm sure it works great for sealing, keeping water out and stopping corrosion. There is no way I would use that stuff to improve conductivity. Just goes to show you ... do your product research and trust NO ONE!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Junkie

I did stop at the local Checker (or what ever its called now) and they only had dielectic grease. They swore up and down it would work, but after reading the package I beg to differ. No where does it say has any conductive properties (like was stated here). I'm sure it works great for sealing, keeping water out and stopping corrosion. There is no way I would use that stuff to improve conductivity. Just goes to show you ... do your product research and trust NO ONE!!!
Look at you local home supply store in the electrical department for "Noalox" or "Penatrox". This stuff is made for electrical connections.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 AM
bkw
JK Freak

My passenger side IPF light used to flicker over bumps, and then died completely. I re-ziptied the harness together to keep them closed and a week later it died again.

Looked inside the harness and the plastic area surrounding the middle prong looks like it may have arced and the plastic melted a bit.

If I apply some pressure around the female (IPF) plug when over the OEM H13 socket, it seems to work so I took a small hose clamp thats lined with rubber and put it over the harness. Hopefully this will keep the lights on for a while.

Anyone deal with Dave to get new harnesses? I'll drop him a line to see if I can get a 'new' harness since mine was the old batch where I had to trim and zip.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Just an update.. Emailed Northridge and within 5 minutes received a reply stating that they've contacted ARB and they'll be shipping me new harnesses. Sweet!

Just hope it doesnt take forever to get here from Australia.. dont think the lights will stay on that long. Guess I can put the stock assembly back in for the time being.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

see did you have to pay for the new harness? i cantacted Northridge on the 4th about this and they wanted 25$ for a set of new harnesses..... they didnt offer any solutions......
Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

I was told the lights have a two year warranty and I wouldn't be changed anything, but that is from Quadratec.

I would also suggest using A LITTLE (and mean A LITTLE) of the above mentioned electrical grease on the H13 prongs.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gundrted
I have the IPF lights and LOVE them. The included bulbs works good for me, once I got them adjusted correctly. I am having a huge issue with the wiring harness. My lights go out all the time and I have to wiggle the harness (H4 to H13 end) to get them back on.

I have tried bending the prongs on the H13 end for better contact. That helped for a week or two. One suggestion I got was use a nickle or copper based anti-seize compound on the prongs to help the conductivity.

I would prefer not to cut the plug off and install an H4 plug. I have thought about running new wiring and a relay off the stock light, but I'm not sure if that would mess with the way the computer senses the bulbs.

I'm almost ready to put the stock lights back in until I can get this worked out (or Spring). Loosing one or both headlights in a CO snow storm is NO fun.

Has anyone ran into this issue or have a thought on how to fix it???

Thanks
Ted
Littleton, CO
I haven't read through the entire thread, so i apologize if this has already been said. I used to have this issue after I installed my IPF'S. it only happened on the drivers side. after jiggling it continuously, and trying to tape it, i decided to switch the wiring from the drivers side to the passengers side. as simple as it was, I haven't had an issue since. it's been about three months.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

i contacted seth at arb so i hope he can help me.... i really dont wanna loose these lights bc of these harnesses
Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jchmelojk
i contacted seth at arb so i hope he can help me.... i really dont wanna loose these lights bc of these harnesses
If you realy like the lights. Don't loose them just because of the harness. Plug and play is just a simple way of doing things.

Quick Reply: IPF Headlight Harness Issue