Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

IPF Headlight Harness Issue

Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Connection problems tend to grow over time. Unless caught quickly, the bad connection will start to heat up. The heat causes the connection to get worse. Witch causes more heat.
Heap, same problem here and my buddy also. Replaced the H13 to H4 adaptor.

JK-Ford is right, it starts off intermittent and then in a month it's dead for good.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jchmelojk
yeah i have had a problem with my IPF head lights going out.... i just replaced the harness that northridge sent out..... will that keep going out? or do i just need to put more electrical grease on there and call it a day???
You need to keep a close eye on the connection untill you are sure that it is solid. Take action at the very first sign. Clean all the terminals. Make everything as tight as possible. Use "Noalox" or "Penetrox" on the terminals.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem with one of our JK's..... headlights (low beam) going out all the time on both the driver and passenger side. Hi beam doesnt work at all on the drivers side anymore (doesnt even have power on the faftory wire). ARB replaced the wire harness and bulbs but that didnt fix anything. Tried zip ties and electrical tape.... No go.... funny thing is now the factory harness wont securely connect to stock bulbs.

Bought a new oem connector setup from the dealer.... we'll see if that fixes everything.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UGOTKERN
Same problem with one of our JK's..... headlights (low beam) going out all the time on both the driver and passenger side. Hi beam doesnt work at all on the drivers side anymore (doesnt even have power on the faftory wire). ARB replaced the wire harness and bulbs but that didnt fix anything. Tried zip ties and electrical tape.... No go.... funny thing is now the factory harness wont securely connect to stock bulbs.

Bought a new oem connector setup from the dealer.... we'll see if that fixes everything.
Like I mentioned. A poor connection will destroy the connector. Sounds to me like a problem with the IPF male connector. I'd recomend cutting both connectors off. Saving the OEM connector. Throw away the IPF connector. And just butt-splice the connections.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

I ended up making my own adapters when I went with the Cibie lights.

the H4 connector is available at most auto parts stores. I bought the H13 part on ebay, and just spliced the two together.

If you're having problems with the H4 portion, I'd just cut off the H4 plug, and splice a new one in to what you have. I think a pair of H4 plugs was only a few bucks.

No need rewiring with relays and capacitors etc if you are using the same bulb wattage. (If you did go with higher current bulbs, then yes, you should consider the relay-capacitor-new wire job, because the stock wires are awfully thin!)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

This is all great info. I'm glad I'm not alone with my headache.

it has gotten a lot worse over time that is dead on. I'll be lubing the contacts up and then ziptieing them together. That seems like the fastest thing I can try. Might also be worth a call to Quadratec to see if i can rma the harnesses.

As a long term fix I'm going to look at rewiring. At least then I will have more bulb options and know the wiring is sound.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same issues and tried zip ties, wiggling, lots of low tech stuff. I finally gave up and contacted Seth at ARB (they supplied Dave at Northridge with the harness) and he had a new harness out to me right away.

Since then, no issues.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the issue when you use an adapter for something that was never meant for it. I use the Rally Sports Hella Harness for my H4s and it's flawless. It might even work for the IPF ones since all you're plugging in is the bulb.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

Default same issues with IPF

I electrical taped the shit out of the connecters and the drivers side still flickers sometimes.

Response was to email dave @ northridge and he is having IPF send me new connecters... he said that every once in a while it is manufactured slightly wrong and he has a new set sent out and he hasnt heard any more complaints after the new set was sent out.

My answer would be whoever you bought the product from, get new connecters weather or not you have to pay for them or shipping, id try that before cutting connections, especially if you ever plan on trading in the jeep (most likely noone will care or know what you did, but its the right thing to do)
Old 01-05-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

I have had the same problem. Used the new harness too and still the light would go out. I just then cut off the harnesses and soldered the wires together permanently.
I would keep these lights always so it made sense to get rid of the harness. I will not have a problem from now on.

Quick Reply: IPF Headlight Harness Issue