Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

IPF Headlight Harness Issue

Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IPF Headlight Harness Issue

I have the IPF lights and LOVE them. The included bulbs works good for me, once I got them adjusted correctly. I am having a huge issue with the wiring harness. My lights go out all the time and I have to wiggle the harness (H4 to H13 end) to get them back on.

I have tried bending the prongs on the H13 end for better contact. That helped for a week or two. One suggestion I got was use a nickle or copper based anti-seize compound on the prongs to help the conductivity.

I would prefer not to cut the plug off and install an H4 plug. I have thought about running new wiring and a relay off the stock light, but I'm not sure if that would mess with the way the computer senses the bulbs.

I'm almost ready to put the stock lights back in until I can get this worked out (or Spring). Loosing one or both headlights in a CO snow storm is NO fun.

Has anyone ran into this issue or have a thought on how to fix it???

Thanks
Ted
Littleton, CO
Old 01-03-2011, 08:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gundrted
I have the IPF lights and LOVE them. The included bulbs works good for me, once I got them adjusted correctly. I am having a huge issue with the wiring harness. My lights go out all the time and I have to wiggle the harness (H4 to H13 end) to get them back on.

I have tried bending the prongs on the H13 end for better contact. That helped for a week or two. One suggestion I got was use a nickle or copper based anti-seize compound on the prongs to help the conductivity.

I would prefer not to cut the plug off and install an H4 plug. I have thought about running new wiring and a relay off the stock light, but I'm not sure if that would mess with the way the computer senses the bulbs.

I'm almost ready to put the stock lights back in until I can get this worked out (or Spring). Loosing one or both headlights in a CO snow storm is NO fun.

Has anyone ran into this issue or have a thought on how to fix it???

Thanks
Ted
Littleton, CO
I have similar experience in the electrical field. The problem is inside the female plug. Best fix is to replace it. You may be able to reach in there with something sharp and close up the gap a little. Then add your connection compound to help maintain connection. But usually, once it becomes loose, your done.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
I have similar experience in the electrical field. The problem is inside the female plug. Best fix is to replace it. You may be able to reach in there with something sharp and close up the gap a little. Then add your connection compound to help maintain connection. But usually, once it becomes loose, your done.
The last time I took the H3-H14 harness apart I did try to use an awl on the female end. I had little if any success. I also couldn't see an obvious way to release the wire from the plug. I would agree that replacing the H13 plug with an H4 plug is best, but permanent electrical changes always make me nervous.

Do you have any experience with installing a relay and separate wiring for the lights? If I'm going to start replacing stuff I might as well go big or go home ... right .. haha
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gundrted
The last time I took the H3-H14 harness apart I did try to use an awl on the female end. I had little if any success. I also couldn't see an obvious way to release the wire from the plug. I would agree that replacing the H13 plug with an H4 plug is best, but permanent electrical changes always make me nervous.

Do you have any experience with installing a relay and separate wiring for the lights? If I'm going to start replacing stuff I might as well go big or go home ... right .. haha
I am a Master Electrician and a Systems Control Technician. And - I am at your service. Let the questions begin.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
I am a Master Electrician and a Systems Control Technician. And - I am at your service. Let the questions begin.

I just called Pep Boys (a local parts store) and they do have dielectric grease. They said work great on headlights and is made for it.

My Dad has used this stuff and I think he is sending me some.

This is the link for the Bostik Anti-Seize Compound I'm sending to you. This is
what I used on all the outside light bulb sockets on the old camper and it
worked great.

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/purenickel.htm
in our option what would be better use and do you think these are 'real' fixes for my issues?

I would also love to know your thoughts on install a relay run off the headlight feed to active higher power bulbs on custom wire. That would be a little off topic so if you want to share a PM. to keep things on topic.

Last edited by mkjeep; 01-03-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: competing forum mention
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

In my little experience they make a special tool to remove the wires from its pin location, you should be able to buy replacement wire from the dealer. But that was with Volkswagen not too sure on Jeeps....Good luck.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
In my little experience they make a special tool to remove the wires from its pin location, you should be able to buy replacement wire from the dealer. But that was with Volkswagen not too sure on Jeeps....Good luck.
Ya but you would have to get the exact tool for the connector in question.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AvnxScout
Are you talking about the headlights that Northridge is carrying? if so I had to zip-tie the 2 harnesses together on the drivers side headlight and I haven't had any problems at all with it
I didn't get it from Norhtridge, its the same kit. The zip tie trick makes some sense. The lights do come on if i push the connectors together.

So, so far I have
  1. Use some electrical grease on the H13 end
  2. Zip tie the connectors
  3. replace the plugs with H4 plugs

I think I'll be combining options one and two.

Does anyone have any experience with working with ARB on RMAs? Have people had good luck getting replacement parts for things like this?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AvnxScout
You should be fine with just the electrical grease which will help with keeping water and corrosion out and zip-tying it up. I thought IPF had made a new harness that fixed the problem because all it was on mine was the clip not locking into place and that was over a year ago when I purchased mine and it was identified then.
Connection problems tend to grow over time. Unless caught quickly, the bad connection will start to heat up. The heat causes the connection to get worse. Witch causes more heat.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah i have had a problem with my IPF head lights going out.... i just replaced the harness that northridge sent out..... will that keep going out? or do i just need to put more electrical grease on there and call it a day???

Quick Reply: IPF Headlight Harness Issue