Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

IPF 920H4 JK Headlight Upgrade - Not Worht the Upgrade?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPF 920H4 JK Headlight Upgrade - Not Worht the Upgrade?

Early in 2010, I ordered and installed the IPF 920H4 JK Headlight upgrade for my 2007 JK Rubicon. After about a year, I started having problems with either headlight unexpectedly going out. At first I thought it was the bulbs, but upon further inspection, found out it was a problem with the adapter wire (the end that goes into the factory wiring harness) included as part of the upgrade. Since I ordered it from Northridge4x4, I e-mailed them and they were very helpful. I got a new set of adapter wires.

Now its like the 5th or 6th (maybe the 7th or 8th; don't know; I've had so many) adapter wires.

I think it's time to remove this upgrade and try something different. But before doing so, I though t I'd post here and see if anyone else is having a problem with it.

Here's the details: When a headlight goes out and stays out, I remove the adapter wire. There are three blade-type (flat) plugs on the end that goes into the factory wiring harness plug. Every time (either headlight) it's always the center plug that is somewhat tarnished black. Further inspection reveals that the plug has recessed back into the adapter wire about 1/16" or so causing the tip to occasionally break the circuit. Then it apparently moves back forward and reconnects. By doing this constant back and forth motion, it eventually arcs and discolors the center plug and finally quits working. I've checked the position of the connection and it's in an area behind the horn where there's nothing touching it or anytrhing that would cause the wires to be stretched.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
Old 08-03-2012, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I have had no problems with mine. Why don't you just pull the adapters and hard wire them. The problem will be solved. The adapters have always had known problems, and not sure why there isn't a fix by now
Old 08-05-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: IPF 920H4 JK Headlight Upgrade - Not Worht the Upgrade?

Where can I find the wattage dfraw of the stock 2007 JK headlights? Or does anyone know the draw wattage of the stock headlights (both low and high beams)?

I've found a suitable replacement but don't want to draw excessive power.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

I had the same problem so I just spliced and soldered the joint and put some water proof tape. Problem solved.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Or you could just pop in some Silverstars!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeeper'08
Or you could just pop in some Silverstars!
Lol. The IPF kit is night and day better than just throwing in silver star bulbs. To get a substantial improvement, you must go to a different housing, regardless of the brand. The factory assembly sucks
Old 08-05-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Contact ARB. They will send you everything you need (for free) to hard wire them.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by paulp575
Where can I find the wattage dfraw of the stock 2007 JK headlights? Or does anyone know the draw wattage of the stock headlights (both low and high beams)?

I've found a suitable replacement but don't want to draw excessive power.
Should be 55w low beam, 65w high beam.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Lol. The IPF kit is night and day better than just throwing in silver star bulbs. To get a substantial improvement, you must go to a different housing, regardless of the brand. The factory assembly sucks
True.. Just don't want to spend $200+ for a headlight upgrade!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: IPF 920H4 JK Headlight Upgrade - Not Worht the Upgrade?

Originally Posted by jkinportland
Contact ARB. They will send you everything you need (for free) to hard wire them.
No thanks; I don't want to hard wire them in case I have further problems! I'm already on my 5th and 6th (or is it 7th and 8th) adapter wiring and really want to go to something that's just "remove and replace" the headlight bulbs.

Quick Reply: IPF 920H4 JK Headlight Upgrade - Not Worht the Upgrade?