Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ipad Install

Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipad Install

I've read a few things about guys putting ipads in there jeeps, and i really would like to do it. whats the best way for me to mount my ipad?
if u guys have any pictures, please post um up. thanks for the help

and would all the music or movies or whatever still play through all my speakers??

Last edited by LaxAHolic; 10-29-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...highlight=ipad
Old 10-29-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

ive read it already, doesnt explain a whole lot
Old 10-29-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
ive read it already, doesnt explain a whole lot
Yeah thats really the only thing I could find
Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 AM
JK Freak

Alrite I'll chime on my build. I started back in july building mine, but recently switched the design to that of using an otterbox case to hold the Ipad in the dash. It isn't an easy task, and does require some work. First you need to fill the space the where the factory was before. In my case I had put a steel plate with some angle brackets inside the dash with my original build I had to trim alot of plastic to my ipad holder fit. I switched now to an otterbox case. Otterbox makes a defender case for the Ipad, that has a hard abs plastic shield that clips over the screen or clips to the back when in use. So Matt from the link above showed me his idea, and its much cleaner. So i basically took the hard plastic shield and mounted onto the steel plate I put in the dash, and the Ipad clips onto that piece, and is held firmly.

As for audio, this is totally different on each person and well how much work they want to do or what they want. My jeep has the factory infinity system, I wanted to use my factory amplified system for the mean till I get the funds for a completely new and more powerful system. In order to get the audio pumping through the Infinity system I bought a PAC Audio Interface which allows the replacement of headunit in chrysler vehicles with Factory Amplified systems. Now the Ipad doesn't provide enough signal through the headphone jack or Dock connector to just feed it in, and also you need to have an external volume control. So I used a JL Audio CL-RLC 2-channel Remote Level Control(Volume). This takes the input signal and increase its range and controls the level.

NOW: Heres how I connected the Volume Control to Interface to the PAC Harness.

Simply the PAC Harness has everything labels, so I made the power connections from the PAC Unit to my JL Audio Unit, and Amp Turn-on signal looped for Factory amp. The Pac Harness has clear instructions on this, but FYI the Factory Infinity AMP only receives a 2-channel signal via speaker line levels, so I ran my audio output from the JL Audio to the Pac Harness, and voila the source fed through the JL Audio unit is piping through the factory audio system.

Another that you could do is relocate an aftermarket radio like in the console, and just use the auxiliary from the headunit in order to get audio from the Ipad.

As for Audio from the Ipad there are a couple of ways, its all up to you and how want it again.

My setup, Ipad dock extension cable connects to Ipad, then that extension plugs into the Ipad Dock, and on the Ipad dock there is a line out plug and Sync port for charging and syncing. Reason I used the Ipad dock is because it eliminates the ground noise from the lineout, my current and only ground noise is from my charging usb I placed inside the dash.

If you want charging and audio from the Ipad sync port, then cable selection is critical, many sync cables are only design for charging so as soon as you plug one in, audio gets cut off.

I havent updated my thread since im waiting to finish mine up and do a video explanation. If you want a video on my progress let me know and I'll whip one up tomorrow before work to explain in words more clearly how mine works. I know from above it seems daunting and it was when I started looking into mine. I got alot of my knowledge and help from a shop called "soundman car audio" just youtube them or google them and they have a great info. They tell you the basics of whats needed.

If you already have an aftermarket audio system then its easier, because next month im getting my new audio system and it clean it up, I may keep the interface harness so i dont splice in for the new amp.

This is my outdated build thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...highlight=ipad

Check out my videos, but I'll warn you i kind of repeat alot and made them long. I'll shoot a quick video tomorrow of how mine looks so far.

SHoot me questions on here and I'll answer the best I can. I been listening to Ipad tunes through my Ipad for a couple of months, so it works!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:18 AM
JK Freak

Heres a video of my current progress:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tj5i2RXqR4
Old 11-01-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

how much does it cost to make it work inside the jeep?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
how much does it cost to make it work inside the jeep?
depends which part of it? the audio? for it to work with my infinity system, I had to get a PAC Audio interface which msrp is 119, but I got it for 69 bucks at my local audio shop, for the volume control, I used a JL Remote line driver which was 35 bucks, and for extra added sound range I added an audio booster, which was 30 bucks.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

im bout to pull the trigger and start my build on this one since i got some time off from school.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NReavis
im bout to pull the trigger and start my build on this one since i got some time off from school.
Post up your work, look forward to another install

Quick Reply: Ipad Install