Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ipad as ahead unit

Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipad as ahead unit

I've read a bunch of threads on mounting an iPad. The cop4x4 product looks good but pricey. One question I can't find an answer to, can the iPad replace my head unit? I had a nice gps DVD pioneer 7" but got caught in a storm and destroyed it. Thought my iPad would be great as I can remove it for weather and security.

Does anyone know if it can be used as a head unit?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen them used as head units in concept cars (there was a Scion that had one at the Detroit auto show I think), but keep in mind you would want to use a specialized app and additional hardware to run it.

A quick Google search uncovered this - the new iPad 3 LTE gets down with Ford SYNC Car Dash, @SoundManCA, SoundMan Car Audio - YouTube

Cons:
1. The iPad has no output power to drive your speakers. It would need to be jacked into an amp somehow so that the speakers could receive power.
2. Running itunes or something isn't going to work very well while you are going 70mph in traffic. Having an app with large intuitive buttons would be preferred.
3. You would lose Fade and possibly Balance unless you ran a specialized app.

Pros:
1. Like you said, good for security, you could take it with you (with "smart" mount)
2. A well-designed app could incorporate Nav, Music...maybe voice recording, video playback...

Quick Reply: Ipad as ahead unit