Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Inverter install

Old 02-01-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverter install

Finally got around to taking some pics of my inverter install

I started with simply screwing it to the fenderwell.

Two GFI outlets are accessible along side the seat. It has it's own on-off and built in battery saver cut off.

It is a 800W peak 400W sine wave inverter. Plenty of juice for my needs, laptop, lights, fan, blender

I wired it up with some good cable and an 80amp fuse.

I had to tweak the inner fender around the hole to squeeze the cable in the hole. Barely fit.

I love it!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great job
man that is some seriously nice cable you have there. where'd you get it?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Local car audio joint hooked me up with the cable, fuse and crimped connectors. Oh, and the gold plated terminal
Old 02-02-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much was the inverter? i'm looking to do the same thing. i assume positive to battery and negative to ground?

this may be a dumb question, but is there any sort of relay?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stevedolce
how much was the inverter? i'm looking to do the same thing. i assume positive to battery and negative to ground?

this may be a dumb question, but is there any sort of relay?
The inverter was around $70 at Gander Mountain.

Yes, + to + terminal of battery & - to ground. You can see where I grounded mine to the body but there is also a smaller ground for the internal controls & I ran that one to the body as well.

I had originally planned on running a relay but figured since it has it's own on-off switch and built in battery saver, I skipped it. I just need to be sure I don't leave it turned on when it's not in use. There are other inverters out there that have no on/off or battery saver & in that case I would run one.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scottrock
The inverter was around $70 at Gander Mountain.

Yes, + to + terminal of battery & - to ground. You can see where I grounded mine to the body but there is also a smaller ground for the internal controls & I ran that one to the body as well.

I had originally planned on running a relay but figured since it has it's own on-off switch and built in battery saver, I skipped it. I just need to be sure I don't leave it turned on when it's not in use. There are other inverters out there that have no on/off or battery saver & in that case I would run one.
That's a great price if it's a true sine 400W and not a stepped sine.

I have one that I use for whatever vehicle has the monsters on a trip. I should probably follow your lead and permamount a couple. Nice write up.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
That's a great price if it's a true sine 400W and not a stepped sine.

I have one that I use for whatever vehicle has the monsters on a trip. I should probably follow your lead and permamount a couple. Nice write up.
It's a modified sine wave, not a true. For my needs, I just couldn't justify the extra expense.

Oh and thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice job. You should consider moving the fuse to the engine-side of the firewall as a safety measure. In the event of an accident you don't want the firewall pinching that heavy cable without having a fuse or circuit breaker to interrupt the flow of current.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Roxster
Nice job. You should consider moving the fuse to the engine-side of the firewall as a safety measure. In the event of an accident you don't want the firewall pinching that heavy cable without having a fuse or circuit breaker to interrupt the flow of current.
good idea

Quick Reply: Inverter install