Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Intermittently fobs are locked out on 09 Sahara

Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what Toyota would do to fix this..... I bet their solution would entail a piece of metal.

On a serious note... I put a small screw driver on my key chain so that when I am locked out with the FOB, i just pop open the fob (separating the control from the battery) and then reassemble. Then I am usually good.

I've been able to get this thing to fail after clearing the code that I earlier posted and guess what.. it does not post a freak'in code.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

o|||||||o, i'm curious to hear how you make out with the dealership. I've personally been procrastinating on going to the dealership given a) the lack of luck people have been having with this issue and b) I just don't have the time to waste on this issue as small as it may be.

I love my jeep, but I hate this issue. I'm also in the process of being a boil with Jeep Corporate on this issue.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Some interesting news...

The girlfriend went in and picked up the Jeep this evening. I was not there, so I do not know the specifics. The service guy at the dealership told her that he just received a service bulletin on this problem 2 days ago. Her Jeep is now "fixed" according to the dealership. I am not sure exactly what work was performed, as I said I was not there myself. I do know that she has two brand new key fobs.

Again, not sure if this was a huge line of BS to keep her happy or if Jeep is actually addressing this issue.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Well, it has been a week and not one incident of hint of a malfunction...

Hopefully Jeep has identified the issue and knows how to fix it now!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any way you can get the service bulletin number or specifics??
Old 02-10-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tls001
Any way you can get the service bulletin number or specifics??
I have to run to the same dealer tomorrow to pick up parts for my TJ. I will ask while I am there.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by o|||||||o
I have to run to the same dealer tomorrow to pick up parts for my TJ. I will ask while I am there.
Were you able to get any more info on this, I am in the same boat and would like to take it the dealer armed with the knowledge.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tls001
Were you able to get any more info on this, I am in the same boat and would like to take it the dealer armed with the knowledge.
I am sorry, I have to say I got nothing. I had a buddy pick up my parts for me so I didn't get to talk to the service guys. I would just ask them about any recent service bulletin and go from there.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

I had an 2009 Rubicon that would act the same way...fob would not work most of the time. After bringing the Jeep in to the dealership to correct the problem no less than 10 times, having Chrysler fly in engineers and completely switching out all of the wireless components three times, I finally demanded they buyback the Jeep and give me a new Rubicon which they finally did.

So I get the new one home and guess what starts to happen...the exact same thing. Frustrated as hell, I am ready to just give up on the whole Jeep thing and buy something else. Then I decide to look on this site to see if anyone has experienced this same issue. As I read no more than the second post of this string, I find the same situation that I'm in...an iPhone charger connected to the "hot" cigarette lighter. So I rip it out, test the fob and WOW it works! Who knew that a charger could emit a signal to "jam" the frequency.

Long story short, I get a brand new 2010 Rubicon, get all of my money back and my payment goes down $50 a month. All because of a stupid iPhone charger.

Last edited by Dawg Nuts; 02-16-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Almost seems like it's only affecting people with remote start. My father in law has an 09 Sahara with rs & he's had the same trouble. I have 09 X with the remote lock/unlock (no start) and haven't had any trouble at all.

Quick Reply: Intermittently fobs are locked out on 09 Sahara