Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Intermittently fobs are locked out on 09 Sahara

Old 12-03-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tntbowler
I have not tried new batteries as this happens with both key fobs.....
i have the same problem
Old 12-04-2009, 01:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

My parents 09 Sahara is having the same problem. Its not an interference issue as it happens in multiple locations with nothing extra plugged into the electrical system. I'd be very interested to see if taking the batteries out of the fobs and putting them back in helps.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

I have this problem on my 09 sahara. Its really annoying because the only way to get into it is to use the key but that sets off the alarm until you put the key in the ignition and start it. :( It happened to me today.

After I got in and started it, now the unlock works fine.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had this happen to me several times (usually in approximately the same spot). I also would like to know how to fix this,I am assuming that something in that area is causing this. The wife gets really mad, her hairdresser's parking lot is one of the spots the FOB doesnt work. Please help I am tired of getting the calls :-(
Old 12-07-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

I am interested to hear if anyone has found a solution to this problem.

I have the same difficulty with my 09 Rubicon. I have had the problem with both fobs, changed both of their batteries, checked the Jeep's battery. I went weeks without a problem only to have it happen 3 times in the last 2 days.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought replacing the battery cured it, but it still happens only in the parking garage at work. I took the key apart and (carefully) bent the little metal tabs that contact the battery to get a better connection and it worked - once. The next day when it failed to work I took the key apart and removed and reseated the battery and it worked again - once. I think removing/replacing the battery resets the fob and over-rides the interference.

To lock the doors without turning the alarm on use the manual locks, right next to the little handle inside that you use to open the door. That way at least when you have to open it with the key you don't get the honking. With my 09 2 door Rubi locking with the fob or power lock button on either door will always arm the alarm.

Hopefully somebody will find a solution. Mine works everywhere except where I have to park every work day.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the same problem with my '09 X Unlimited. It's extremely random which is why I haven't taken in to the dealer, either. I don't think location matters as it's happened at three different places. I swapped key fobs recently and it hasn't happened again, yet.

Maybe this is an '09 model year problem.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

I had it too, I took it to the dealer ( after puttinging new batts in both keys with no change) and asked them reprogram the keys. They gave me two new keys and programed them, here's the good part, the service mgr said that the lead tech did it and I am good to go. I got to the Jeep and it still didn't work. The lead tech came out and he and I pushed the key buttons for about ten minutes and all of a sudden they started working again, still doing fine after three months.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the dealership to test the WCM module.

This was the issue for my poor keyless entry range and sometimes not working. the WCM module had an internal Fault. They replaced the WCM module under warranty and reprogrammed my keys.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 12-08-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

Happens to me. 2009 Sahara. I replaced the battery, started using the other FOB, no luck. Completely random, happens in different places, after 15 minutes, overnight...saw one answer that it is the WCM Module in the car. I will ask dealer about it.

Quick Reply: Intermittently fobs are locked out on 09 Sahara