Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Intermittently fobs are locked out on 09 Sahara

Old 11-24-2009, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittently fobs are locked out on 09 Sahara

I have one annoyance with my 09 Sahara. This happens a couple times a week and I can't figure out why this is happening. This happens with both fobs too.

Lock and arm the vehicle with the key fob. When I go and unlock it sometimes it will unlock with the fobs (notice plural) and sometimes it won't. When it doesn't none of the buttons appear to be working on either fob.

I have to unlock the door by inserting the key in the drivers side door, open the door (which sets off the alarm) and insert the key and turn it to disarm.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions for me to try? I am afraid to take it to the dealership and they will give the unnecessary run around as they can not reproduce the problem.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Do you have anything plugged in to the power points (cigarette lighters) I know it sounds strange but if I leave my Iphone charger plugged in it emits some kind of interference and my Jeep will act the same way, There’s also a new medical building here if you park in front of it same thing. Some kind of interference.
Good luck
Old 11-24-2009, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Nope, nothing plugged in to any of the cigarette lighters. I've even gone as far as turning off the siruis radio/navigation (switching the unit to just the radio) and then powering the unit off. My thought was maybe the stereo was emitting something... no noticeable difference.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can reproduce it there is no problem in taking it to the dealer. how long does the vehicle sit when it does this? 5 mins, immediately, all night, etc? If you can replicate it, take it to the dealer.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

The vehicle can sit for a couple hours... It does not happen all the time though... I can go a couple weeks without any issues and then I can have it happen within a couple hours of each occurrence on a whim. That's what's so bizarre about this... .Was not certain if anyone else was having this issue....
Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

mine still does it with the remote starter... (stock), did it all the time when it was new (lock/unlock/remote start) that went away on its own..

Im thinking my current issue is from the window tint on the house.. it does not do it when Im outside..

did you ever think of changin ghte batteries in the Fob?? they should be good, but you never know..
Old 11-24-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

I have not tried new batteries as this happens with both key fobs.....
Old 11-24-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had this with my 09 Rubi. I park in an above ground garage at work and it only happened there. Tried both keys and it just kept getting worse until it was almost every time. A new battery in the key fixed it. It's worked every time since.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

This may sound stupid but have you checked the jeeps battery cables to make sure they are snug. I had a cable start coming loose and the jeep would start but the key fob would not unlock the jeep sometimes... finally got to the point where I thought maybe it was time for a new battery and realized the cable was not snug and problem solved.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone for the input to date....
I opened up both of my key fobs and popped out the battery entirely and then reinserted them (did not change them) after putting them on a meter to confirm the voltage. The multimeter was reading 3v for each. It's been a week since I did that and so far so good (now I probably just jinxed myself and I don't have any wood to knock on!). I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited by tntbowler; 12-03-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Intermittently fobs are locked out on 09 Sahara