Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Intermittent start issues. Not the normal ones.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent start issues. Not the normal ones.

Okay, so im working on a 2008 rhd jk. The owner says it needs a starter so starter we shall change. I didnt test anything, i just put the new starter on. The swap went good but when i try and start the engine, sometimes it wont. Its not the normal clicks or stuck bendix sound. It sounds as though electricity isnt given long enough to the starter. The starter still spins and engages but its almost just like i bumped the key on my 06 tj. This one seems to have an electronic timer for how long the starter stays engaged. It sounds like the starter just doesnt engage long enough. Ive read about bad engine grounds and the trans trs but i think theirs would just click, not like this one. I did play with the shifter and shifting from p to 1st and back to p did make the issue go away but i dont want to be adding ground wires for nothing since it isnt mine. Any input? Im relatively new to the bus electrical system and dont want to screw around with it since most everything is linked to something else. I need some pro advice. Thank yall ahead of time.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interestingly, I have an 08 JKU with crazy problems that started with what I thought was a starter issue. First off, every once in a while (like every 2 months) I would get a no start condition like you're describing where it seemed like the starter didn't seem to engage long enough. Since I never got stranded and could get my Jeep to start after trying 5-6 times I left things alone. Some time later at around 190,000 miles I got the CEL which indicated the cats were bad. One day, after turning a corner and getting into the throttle a bit, the car bogged down, the CEL was blinking, the vehicle barely moved (limp mode), and I smelled something like burnt wires. Took it to a repair shop and $1,600 later, got it back, running great with new cats, a new coil pack, new spark plugs and a new crankshaft position sensor. All was good and I enjoyed driving without the CEL on. 15,000 miles later, driving from Lansing, Michigan to Indianapolis down I-69 was doing around 90 mph when I started hearing loud throttle body noise and started to loose power and speed.....planned on the next exit but when I got down to around 60, the engine quit completely and I costed to a stop....thank God it wasn't raining! Anyway, that burnt wire smell occurred again...weird. Tried to restart and the engine wouldn't turn over. Put a wrench on the crank and the engine was seized so I had it towed and ordered a new long block. Three weeks later and $5,200 I had a new engine, a serviced transmission, a new starter, and new tires (32 inch ones). Not bad since it also included towing and a 36 month/36,000 mile warranty. Went in to pick up the Jeep, turned the key and "click" only and no start....you might imagine that I was completely pissed and marched back in and dropped off the keys. Was told that the TIPM was f'ed up and some internet research pointed in that direction too. $1,044 later (today) picked up the JK and it ran great until I went out to the store tonight.....on the way home, was making a left hand turn and got into the throttle just a bit.....anti-skid light came on, CEL blinking, limp mode and no power. Since I was going down a hill I switched off the ignition and restarted while coasting. Anti-skid light now off and CEL constantly on but power and shifting back to normal. Went home and pulled the codes which were P0300, P0339, and C121C. What the F!?!? If you have any ideas, I'd really like to hear them as I really don't want to throw any more money at this project. I'm leaning toward a wiring or ground issue as the problem really wasn't a problem until after the engine replacement.

Quick Reply: Intermittent start issues. Not the normal ones.