Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installing new HU

Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new HU

Just a quick question (first real time posting by the way...Hello all), I'm going to install a pioneer HU with an Ipod adaptor. My question is, I have a 2008Wrangler X, with a bone stock system, no sub, amp, regular single cd player. Do i need to purchase the PAC unit to install an aftermarket cd player or can I get away with just a regular wiring harness? the HU unit isn't state of the art either just my pioneer deh-p4600mp from my old car.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend you get a metra 70-6522 plug. That will provide all the connections you need except the 12V IGN+ and you can get it from the positive wire going into your cigarette lighter socket. The plug is usually only $10-15. You will also need an antenna adapter which is metra 40-EU10
Old 09-29-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

i would do what was all ready posted, unless you do want to go out and spend that 100 for the pac unit, but if you know how to install a stereo i would do the cheap route and use the extra money on other goodies.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Junkie

A regular old harness from Crutchfield is plenty, the PAC unit is for steering wheel controls and OEM amp integration if you have the infinity system
Old 09-29-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the help, i think i'll go the cheaper route.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed a new Kenwood unit this week and didn't use any adapters. I just used those wire/quick splice things to go to the wires I needed and it was PERFECT!

1. Use the factory speaker wires. you can find a wire diagram on here easy!

2. Use the power plug/plugs under the radio for power. One on the left for the "Ignition/switched red wire" and one on the right for the "Constand Battery 12v+ or yellow wire".

3. At the back of the HVAC or air conditioning controls you'll see a little plug with a bunch of wires.... square shaped plug. The orange with a grey stripe wire is perfect for the "Illumination/Auto Dimming" wire if your new unit comes with one.

4. You can ground to the power plug ground or use one of the bolts behind the existing radio which is what I did.... no ground loop sound IT'S PERFECT!

Viola! Done!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

last time I went without a harness when installing a stereo, I just about blew most fuses before I realized I didnt disconnect my battery, lucky no major damage but still, ill just get the cheaper wiring harness and play it safer, thank you for the help all.

Quick Reply: Installing new HU