Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

INstalling an inverter/ air space

Old 07-31-2010, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INstalling an inverter/ air space

So after drilling a hole in finger I decided to quit for the night . Also I ran into a question how much air space does the thing have to have around it . I am installing an 800 watt inverter under the seat. I bought theses nylon spacers to raise it up of the carpet. Then I thought why not just cut the carpet out? so any thoughts? Just under the area of the inverter. also does any one know where to put the fuse. I thought I saw a post about putting it close t to the battery on the positive wire but now I cant find it. Is 100 amp fuse enough? here is a good tip I think I used some 4 gage wire from a set of jumper cables it was way cheaper than any wire-set. one last question how far below the floor is the gas tank and if you wheel hard and hit your skid will the gas tank move up and hit the screws that hold the inverter down?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gas tank screws: Maybe. That is something to avoid during installation.

Heat: What are you planning to run on the inverter? If you are charging a cell phone, running a laptop and printer you should be fine. Be careful with a fridge. Will the bottom of the inverter get hot enough to burn or melt the carpet? The heat sinks is usually the top and sides. The bottoms get warm but not really hot. Run it and see.

A 100A fuse should be OK. It is more than needed and can handle brief surges. The fuse goes as close to the battery as possible.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your inverter didnt come with a fuse? My 700 watt has 3 electrical sockets and it has a fuse for each socket. Each of those fuses are 30amps. It also has a built in fan so I have never have heating issues, but have never had it on carpet.

I would be careful about what size fuse you put in, if you go too big, it wont blow. However you are correct, you do want to put the fuse next to the battery on the pos. if there are any issues (shorts) that will keep your wires from getting too hot or burning.
good luck
Old 07-31-2010, 08:15 PM
JK Freak

Default no fuse

It does have a fan, but no fuse it is an 800 watt modified sine inverter from pep boys i think 49 or 59$. I think I'll just cut the carpet out and put the inverter up off the floor about a 1/2 inch. On the ground can it just go straight back to the neg side of the battery?

Quick Reply: INstalling an inverter/ air space