Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installing Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor

Old 05-21-2011 | 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Installing Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor

My check engine light came on. Instead of giving the dealership $115 just to diagnose the problem, Autozone did it for free and came up that either my coolant thermostat is defective or my ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor is defective. Where does the engine coolant temperature sensor screw in, exactly?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2011 | 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I have seen more thermostats go bad than I have the sensors. It could be bad but I would change the tstat just to make sure the engine isn't damaged by lack of coolant flow or lack of cooling capacity if it is stuck open.
Old 05-21-2011 | 05:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Might as well change both while you are right there.

Old 05-22-2011 | 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Thank you both! I'm going to pick up both parts come Monday and then get under the hood. Didn't even think about possible engine damage due to lack of coolant flow or anything all because of a defective thermostat. Again, much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Installing Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor