Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

installing aftermarket head unit and retaining usb and mic?

Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing aftermarket head unit and retaining usb and mic?

so im looking to install an aftermarket head unit (in my '12 with premium sound system and uconnect) with bluetooth and usb, wondering if anybody has done or had an install done where they just spliced or could even plug in their wires for the factory mic and usb port in the center console to keep functionality.

and on a more hopeful note. voice command? or can you set up their voice command button to activate siri/google voice. i know they can all be done but with what relative ease and cost

thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 that used to have uconnect and the Alpine non-premium sound system.

I didn't try to splice into the USB, but I did re-use the Sirius/XM antenna by unsnapping the plastic connector. I am able to use Siri with my Kenwood head unit with no problem. I ran a new microphone but put it near the factory location.

I am using aftermarket amps and speakers too.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

could you activate siri with the voice command button or you just had to do that on your phone. was it plugged into usb or via bluetooth?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by expletivedeleted
could you activate siri with the voice command button or you just had to do that on your phone. was it plugged into usb or via bluetooth?
Push the button on the phone. It is connected via USB for music and when a call comes in, it connects via Bluetooth.

I have the phone on a mount right next the the head unit. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-630381799.jpg
Views:	2672
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	411659

One think I do not like about the Kenwood, but I think this is the case with virtually every head unit. When you plug the iPhone into the head unit, I no longer can browse music on my phone. I can use all the other phone functions and apps, just not the iTunes. That is controlled by the head unit.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

yea at lest it doesnt take over the whole phone so thats cool. so you installed it yourself? was it hard to identify which was your usb wire or the mic wire, or you just didnt bother, cause i really like the position of the usb port and the way the mic looks. i know you got your phone mount so you can control it there. i just got an ipod nano that i leave in my car all the time. thanks again
Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

yea at lest it doesnt take over the whole phone so thats cool. so you installed it yourself? was it hard to identify which was your usb wire or the mic wire, or you just didnt bother, cause i really like the position of the usb port and the way the mic looks. i know you got your phone mount so you can control it there. i just got an ipod nano that i leave in my car all the time. thanks again
I honestly didn't even try. Probably could have for the mic, but the HU only has one USB out so it wouldn't have done me any good to wire up the one in my center console.

I'm going to fabricate an iPad mini mount when it gets a little warmer and set the head unit back into the dash so the iPad will slide over the front of it. The fact that the head unit takes over iTunes makes it necessary to stream the music Bluetooth instead of USB. I've tested it and it looks like I can have two simultaneous Bluetooth connections, one for audio and one for phone. When I do that, I may mess with the USB in the center console so I can leave my phone in there when I drive.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

i was going to try to keep the mic by soldering on a male end to connect into my pioneer nav unit but decided to just mount the new mic over the oem one. i kept the u-connect controls with my pac harnesses. and i ran a new iPod cable to the armrest area. the oem usb connection is still live so i can charge my phone still or my passenger can use it to charge theirs while mine is plugged into the new radio.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by notsoricer
i was going to try to keep the mic by soldering on a male end to connect into my pioneer nav unit but decided to just mount the new mic over the oem one. i kept the u-connect controls with my pac harnesses. and i ran a new iPod cable to the armrest area. the oem usb connection is still live so i can charge my phone still or my passenger can use it to charge theirs while mine is plugged into the new radio.

are you a relatively experienced person when it comes to car audio or was that kind of a junior attempt. was it difficult to run the new cable to the console? you have a '11+? and you kept uconnect. even the voice command function?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM
JK Super Freak

are you a relatively experienced person when it comes to car audio or was that kind of a junior attempt. was it difficult to run the new cable to the console? you have a '11+? and you kept uconnect. even the voice command function?
yes, i am relatively experience but this project wasn't something that required me to show off if you know what i mean.. after trying to find the mic wire for 5 minutes, i realized that i would rather use the new mic anyway because I've had complaints about the factory mic from people on the other line. so i thought id try the new one and it actually hasn't brought any negative comments. all the running of the wires was pretty simple due to the fact that the Jeep trim is so easy to disassemble compared to other cars I've worked on. I didn't keep voice command because my new head unit did not support that but my iPhone has siri so that is my go to now. but everything else was salvageable like the answer call/hang up, volume up/down, channel up/down.. i was going to get fancy and even keep the usb connection as is by splicing the pioneer iPod hookup to it, but decided that i wanted to keep the Jeep that much easier to return to stock if need be in the future.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

ok. thanks again!

Quick Reply: installing aftermarket head unit and retaining usb and mic?