Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installing After market fog lights

Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing After market fog lights

I am thinking of putting after market fogs on the front bumper.
I dont know if i can use one of the empty knock outs under the heater control
to install a switch. What kind of wiring problems am i looking at?
Any advise would be helpfu. Pix
would be appreciated. thanks
Old 11-10-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by d.kalt
I just put PIAA 520's on my Rubi. Only real problem I had was getting the wiring harness on the switch through the firewall. Yanked one of the wires out of the harness. Had to resplice it but worked fine then. I'm not so happy with the wiring job I did, definitely not clean. Maybe I'll redo it later. Also, finding a place to put the relay within reach of the battery was tricky. The lights came with everything I needed though, just wished they were a little longer so I could route them better. I'll take some pics today if you are interested.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d.kalt
Unfortunately, those blanks underneath the heater controls are not "knock outs." They are part of a circuit board like setup which varies between models and with what options you have (swaybar disco., lockers). The only way I could conceivably figure out how to use it after taking the switches apart is to get one from a rubicon (in which all of the switches are functional), and just figure out which prongs in the back of the "circuit board" lead to the switch needed. Too much work if you ask me. Try searching for other options on here regarding switch locations. I have some pictures of mine in my "my.project-jk" album. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a set of PIAA's on the wifes 07 JK. Rather than going through the fire wall and looking for a good place to mount a switch on the dash, I just used the switch that came with the PIAA's and mounted it using the sticky-back tape that comes on the switch, on the left side of the drivers seat rail. I came through the rubber plug under the carpet under the seat. Just pulled out the plug, and ran the harness through than re-installed the plug. Ran the harness forward to the front end via the frame rail. Tied into the factory fogs for the trigger signal. Used the PIAA relay that came with the set, mounted in the engine bay, with the power feed coming right off the battery through the fuse supplied by PIAA. This makes it a nice clean run, and the switch can't even be seen unlless you know it's there. If the factory fogs are on, the control power to the switch is on, indicated by the slight green glow of the switch reflecting off the lower door panel. Just reach down between the drivers seat and the door panel to the switch and press. PIAA fogs on, now indicated by the slight red glow of the switch reflecting off the lower door panel.
I've been through water almost up to the bottom of the door, and no there are no leakes through the plug.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

That would depend on the amp draw of the lights. Most of the switches supplied with the wiring kits can not handle the power draw and are designed to activate the lights through the relay.

Dave
Old 11-17-2007, 12:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N2rock
Question... If you don't want to "trigger" with the stock fogs, would the relay be necessary at all? Could one just run straight thru a simple toggle switch?
Switches should be used for control, unless they are rated for the voltage and current the load will draw. Normally the small switches that come with the package do not meet these requirements. In my opinion it is always better to use a switch for control. In this way the contacts of the switch are only supplying the power for a relay coil which is a very small load.
The approperate relay will have the necessery rating for the contacts to safely provide a path for the load. (lights).
Using the battery as the source. A heavy enough gauge wire to support the load (lights),fused in line of course, and the proper relay, IMHO, is the only way to go.

Last edited by Lorrel; 11-17-2007 at 01:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Installing After market fog lights