Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installed Rallylight kit now radio stays on with no power and no keys

Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Installed Rallylight kit now radio stays on with no power and no keys

Ok, leave it to me to goof something up. Installed my rallylight Hella kit and as I was installing my last headlight I noticed sound from my speakers. The static would stop when I left the area of my passenger headlight. Sure enough my radio was running with no key in the ignition. Removed faceplate and finished the install. After I was done I looked for any wire I might have knocked loose, but could find nothing. What could cause this so I can start looking some more? Could a bad relay of the lights cause it? Could I have hit a wire behind my firewall (I installed the relay directly behind the upper left of the battery)? If I knocked loose a ground somewhere could this happen?

What could be some causes of the radio not being switched anymore? Thanks for any insight, and if you need more info let me know.

PS. I tested to see if it was ECm (or whatever it is called that keeps the radio going until you open the door) and I do not beleive it is related to that . The windows do not work with the ignition off, and if I go out and plug the face unit in after the car has been off for an hour the radio is still powers up.

Last edited by alterna75; 03-07-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:35 PM
JfK
JK Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I have nothing of value to say to you. I only wanted to say that I found your situation amusing and got a chuckle out of it
Old 03-08-2012, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

It sounds like you initially wired your radio directly
to your battery, if it's on with the key off. I have the ralley harness as well and can't see how it could interfere with the radio.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

I agree, I do not think it has anything to do with the harness. I think it has more to do with the installer (raises hand). The stereo had been working properly until half way through the install. I think I goofed something up by pulling, stretching or something else I did. I am just going to take it into the shop that installed the radio since they know where they ran the wires for the HU.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Based on your last reply it seems your radio is not the OEM and was installed by a shop?
Well, maybe they goofed up something that was exposed when you wired your new lights.
Unless your new lights have some kind of electronics I also do not see how they could cause static interference on the radio.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update solved

Seems the head unti was somehow switched to a demo mode that allows it to get all the power it needs from the constant wire that allows the radio to keep all the settings in memory. A reset of the Head Unit solved the problem!!!

Quick Reply: Installed Rallylight kit now radio stays on with no power and no keys