Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installed Nav setup

Old 03-16-2007, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Nav setup

Just finished the install in my JK. I went with the TomTom Go 910. It is a neat little unit that allows me to connect my Blackberry phone via bluetooth and also play songs through the factory radio instead of using my Ipod.

I can control my phone through the unit including scrolling through the address book which is synced up.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks pretty slick...how does that screen fare in the sun. It looks like its pretty hard glare there.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Question Excuse my ignorance...

What is that silver/black thing to the left of the radio? It looks like an upside-down deer whistle!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

The glare actually isnt too bad. That photo was taken with the top off and the sun was shining down on the unit. I am picking up a hood that goes over the unit to shield the glare.

That little thing a ma jig on the side of the radio next to the volume control is a small LED light that I picked up at Wally World. Just click once and you get a nice bright beam at nice in case you need to read something!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Looks good, where's the power coming from?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is rechargeable. I just take it out at night, put it in a dock in the house and it recharges. If the power runs low when in the Jeep, it has a car charger that plugs into the power port.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default Tom Tom gps

Hi JB,
How did you attach the unit to the dash?
is it velcro or screwed on?

Can you upload a photo of that attachment?

I have the Tom Tom 700 unit
My unit doen't sync to my phone because I have Verizon as my carrier.
Who is your phone carrier.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Old 03-19-2007, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is the model I have been looking at. Where did you purchase it. The lowest price I found in a quick search a few weeks ago was at Amazon.com - around $450 if I remember correctly. What is the battery life like?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

While Garmin and TomTom are nice, the best bang for the buck is the Mio 310X. Right now they are close to $150, and are easily hackable. You can even put TomTom on it if you would like. iGuidance works too.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the unit brand new locally off of craigslist for $400. I had to d a little fab work to mount it the way I did. I used the supplied windshield mount and then cut off the suction cup. I then super glued that mount to a plastic circular disk that had heavy duty sticky tape on it and mounted it to the dash cover. It is pretty solid. I saw the Mio unit but it does not have bluetooth and that was a big selling point for me as well as the capability of storing 12 gb of songs on the TomTom which I can play directly through the factory radio. I go through T-Mobile for my cell phone service. I dont think the service provider matters, but the phone capabilities does. My Blackberry 8700g synced up immediately. Some phones eed to be manually programmed to sync up with the bluetooth capabilities. I had some difficulties uploading my music but that was because I was trying to upload from a Mac and not my PC. I have sinced fixed that problem.

Quick Reply: Installed Nav setup