Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Installed hardtop wiring harness, rear wiper problem?

Old 07-26-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed hardtop wiring harness, rear wiper problem?

So I installed the hardtop wiring harness today and it seemed pretty straight forward. The only issue is the rear wiper never completes a full motion. It stops in the middle then returns about 3/4 of the way. If you shut it off it doesn't return to its original position. I haven't had it flashed yet but figured that's just for the defrost. Any ideas what this could be? I wanna see if its something I can fix before I bring it to get flashed.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default Same issue

I did the hardtop wiring install tonight on my 2015 JKU. I have the same intermittent wiper issue, so I am hoping it's a reflash situation. Also, I watched a video on youtube where the guys from Alpine were giving a seminar about the new 2015 sound system. They explained that the system knows when the hardtop is off and boosts the stereo sound to compensate. Well, I tested this and sure enough, when you plug in the hardtop harness while the stereo is playing, it cuts the sound. So far, I have not found much info on a workaround, but I am disappointed in Alpines decision to make this happen. I am worried that if I get it flashed to make the rear wiper work correctly, it will mess with the stereo and tune it down all the time. The 2015 stereo is incredible, so I'm not sure what to do now.

It is explained at 15:30 in the video below. The difference in sound is quite dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b25jj_zzINQ

Last edited by shawnpalmer; 05-18-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update

Dealer reflash fixed everything

The stereo situation is exactly as described in the video though, so it may lead to the harness being disconnected most of the time

Quick Reply: Installed hardtop wiring harness, rear wiper problem?