Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Install Video Pioneer SPH-DA120 into 2014 Wrangler JKU Base.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Install Video Pioneer SPH-DA120 into 2014 Wrangler JKU Base.

This was much harder than I had expected. Be nice !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6SZUGErX9g

Last edited by Chadc880; 03-13-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:09 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice vid! I might be doing this soon if these butt-munchers don't warranty my 730n...
Old 03-13-2015, 01:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Perfect timing, Chad. I'm about to do this except with the RP4-CH11 and an amp as well. Did you leave the bracket off or modify it? I have a ram mount for the top screw so I need the bracket.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a dremel or other rotary tool, I would keep that bracket. I wanted to keep it so the dash had that top support.
I cut it in half pretty much. Right below where the attachment screws are. The I cut those top tabs off. So the bracket is pretty much just there for the top dash screw to go into.
everyone should have a dremel. Its a great investment.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:55 AM
JK Junkie

I have a dremel. So you didn't have to cut the top crossmember to make it narrower? Just the tabs?

That sounds like an easy way to go.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, for mine I just cut the bottom half off that bracket, and the two top tabs. The stereo I installed fut fine after that.
Take out the bracket and do a few dry fits around the stereo before you bolt the bracket back in.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do !!!

You know I made fun of my friend even in the video, Why doesn't he buy a Mygig. I love my 430N or at least I thought I did. All factory, Nav and DVD. But I have always thought the user interface was complicated. And really if you think about it, It is outdated.

Last Night after editing the video and putting it on YouTube, I realized it really wasn't that hard to install. And the Pioneer SPH-DA120 really isn't a bad unit.

A year or so ago you didn't have the interface devices that are available now to communicate with the can bus especially if you specifically ordered U Connect. Now most of all that stuff works together.

I am stuck !!!! I am seriously debating on changing out my 430N!!!!

The only things that are holding me back are:

1. When you out in bum f'er Egypt on a trail or in the woods where you have never been before and have no cell phone signal, your GPS does not work. Where as on my 430N I always had a map and working GPS.

2. Not having a DVD player. I know I can install one if needed and yes I was trying to install rear head rest monitors for the kids in the near future but for the mean time when we are at a drive thru or waiting for my wife to get out of a store I can put a DVD for the kids to watch and not kill each other.

???????????????????? what to do.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Former Member

Im looking to upgrade my RES and after looking at on old outdated MYGIG I would only want to throw down no more than $300 for the nav unit.

the Pioneers offer a lot more in terms of technology. I also want to add a backseat monitor for my little guy but I think maybe I could just get him his own stand alone dvd player. All he really cares about is peppa pig anyways.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
Yeah, for mine I just cut the bottom half off that bracket, and the two top tabs. The stereo I installed fut fine after that.
Take out the bracket and do a few dry fits around the stereo before you bolt the bracket back in.
That's what I ended up doing. Thanks for the tip. I just cut off the whole bottom of the bracket like you said and then finessed the top tabs up a little with a ballpeen. I test fit it and that does seem to work. I'll know more tomorrow when I actually install all the junk. The wiring all works though, first shot thanks to that thread you linked me to.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport

That's what I ended up doing. Thanks for the tip. I just cut off the whole bottom of the bracket like you said and then finessed the top tabs up a little with a ballpeen. I test fit it and that does seem to work. I'll know more tomorrow when I actually install all the junk. The wiring all works though, first shot thanks to that thread you linked me to.
:-) glad it worked out!!

Quick Reply: Install Video Pioneer SPH-DA120 into 2014 Wrangler JKU Base.