Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Infinity vs Non-Infinity

Old 02-06-2010, 11:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity vs Non-Infinity

I have a single disc Infinity in my 2009 Unlimited. Im having the sound system upgraded, and need to change the head unit to a non-Infinity.

I want to upgrade to the req 6 disc. How can I tell if a head unit is Infinity or not?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

I guess maybe I don't understand. Personally I have stopped relying on CDs and use my Ipod exclusively, that and the radio. Carrying CDs around just a PITA, I see them going the same way as cassettes and 8 tracks.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Janitor
I have a single disc Infinity in my 2009 Unlimited. Im having the sound system upgraded, and need to change the head unit to a non-Infinity.

I want to upgrade to the req 6 disc. How can I tell if a head unit is Infinity or not?
The easiest way to tell if you have the Infinity sound system is to look for the sub-woofer in the cargo bay. It is a plastic box sitting on the passenger side in front of the tailgate. If you don't have a speaker in the far back then you have the standard system.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Let me clarify. I presently have the Infinity in my new Jeep. Because of the amplifier set-up with the Infinity, it is causing problems with the new stereo installation. Therefore I need to change my head unit to a non-Infinity.

I don't want to go to an after market head unit, so I need to know how tell
if a factory unit is Infinity or not.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Let me clarify. I presently have the Infinity in my new Jeep. Because of the amplifier set-up with the Infinity, it is causing problems with the new stereo installation. Therefore I need to change my head unit to a non-Infinity.

I don't want to go to an after market head unit, so I need to know how tell
if a factory unit is Infinity or not.
The head units are not specific to the infinity sound system. The infinity system is installed in addition to whatever head unit you have. They change the wire harness and add an amp just below the steering wheel in addition to the sub and improved speakers on Infinity systems. The infinity amp is probably what is causing your problems.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

The factory amp is certainly causing problems with my system. The professional
shop that installed my system claims that they need for me to get another head unit to be able to bypass the Infinity amp.

They installed an LC6 between the head unit and the amp, which then powers an Alpine pdx-5 to the speakers. They need to get rid of the factory amp to set
the crossovers properly.

They claim they cannot do that with the factory head unit. They are a high-end shop, so they should know what they are talking about. I dunno.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

The crossovers for the factory Infinity setup are in the factory Amp below the steering wheel, not in the head unit itself. The HU should be just fine, no need to replace unless you want different CD capacity / navigation etc.

If they installed a PDX5 then they should not be using the factory amp anyway, and the crossovers would not be an issue.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

They claim that they can't bypass the factory amp with the factory head unit.
So they requested that I get a non-Infinity head unit.

I know the sound sure in sub-par going through the Infinity amp now.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

They claim that they can't bypass the factory amp with the factory head unit.
So they requested that I get a non-Infinity head unit.

I know the sound sure in sub-par going through the Infinity amp now.
I would question their high-end knowledge then if they don't know how to use the factory HU.

Here is an example configuration others have done, and that I will do once I have the funding:

Factory HU -> "PAC" C2A-CHY2 (Canbus to RCA adapter) -> PDX5.1 -> Speakers

There is also another manufacturer that does canbus to RCA adapters but I don't remember them at this time.

Do a search for "c2a" and you should find several threads.

GL And welcome to the Forum
Old 02-07-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replys! I'm going to print this thread, and take it to them Monday. It seems to be getting difficult to get professional work done on
ANYTHING these days.

Quick Reply: Infinity vs Non-Infinity