Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Infinity Subwoofer not working with Kicker/Nitro amplifier?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Infinity Subwoofer not working with Kicker/Nitro amplifier?

So when I bought my 2011 JKU with Infinity option, the day before I took delivery the dealer realized the radio was not working and troubleshot it to the stock Infinity amp popping fuses whenever power was applied. So they ordered a new amp to replace it. I didn't want to keep waiting so I took the Jeep. After 4 weeks of waiting and being told "it's in work" and after lots of research in this forum, I decided to just order the Kicker (77Kick46) amp and some Kappa 6.5" for the soundbar because it would get here faster and everyone seems to recommend it anyway.

Keep in mind at this point I still have never heard a 2011 Infinity system in a jeep. So I installed the Kicker amp and the system worked like a champ. I thought it was pretty good overall but there was hardly any bass and figured this must be what everyone was talking about. The next day I installed the Kappa's and it sounded a little better but there was still no real bass in the sound. It's very clear and loud but lacks all bass. I went back to subwoofer and its putting out a tiny and I mean tiny amount of bass, to the point of it was pointless to even be there.

About a week later the replacement Infinity amp showed up and it's just been in the box. I was going to put it on eBay or something, but I figured since the one in my Jeep was bad from the factory, I would plug the new one in just to check that it works..... I was actually shocked at how much BASS was being put out now by the Infinity amp. It was exactly the amount of bass that I was expecting the first time. But the sound coming from the front and soundbar inst as clear as it is with the Kicker.

So my question is, does the Kicker Amp even work with the Infinity subwoofer. If it does, why would the subwoofer put out tons of bass (for a stock system) with the Infinity amp and the so called Kicker upgrade not put out any bass? The only thing I could think of is that the Kicker amp doesn't put out sub power because if you had a Kicker system you would have the self-amplified Kicker subwoofer. But if that's so, how come out of the thousands of threads in the forum related to upgrading to a Kicker/Nitro amp no one ever mentions that you will lose use of your Infinity sub?

I need help figuring this out. I am overseas, so I don’t have the luxury of running around to electronics stores buying upgrades and shipping things like heavy subwoofers and boxes gets expensive fast.

Last edited by aaron97; 01-05-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Come on, someone out there has to be able to comment on this? When you had your Infinity amp in, was the system filled with bass and when you changed to the Kicker Amp, did the bass go away completely or not?

EDIT: I checked the box and it said 77KICK46, but i still need to check the amp itself.

Last edited by aaron97; 01-05-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm starting to wonder if they sent me the wrong amp. I ordered the 77Kick46, but if they sent me the 77Kick33 that is only 5-channel and not 8-channel, this might be the cause.

Quick Reply: Infinity Subwoofer not working with Kicker/Nitro amplifier?