Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

infinity speakers.. replace or not?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default infinity speakers.. replace or not?

sre the stock infinity system speakers any good? if i put other speakers in will i get a cleaner sound? the sub is fine, the bass is decewnt.. its just the system sounds kind of muffly sometimes when I listen to classical or opera music...

was wondering how good the factory inifinty system really is?

im NOT looking to repalce head units, amps or such.. just speakers if they are direct drop-ins and will sound better... and i will keep the stock sub
-Christopher
Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the stock stereo or Infinity? If you have the stock stereo then change out the speakers to the plug n play Kicker speakers. A friend of mine installed them and loved them. If you have the Infinity system then you could try the same thing, but I tried just switching the speakers and I wasn't satisfied, because they don't send a full-range signal to all of the speakers. So I ended up replacing the mygig and the whole Infinity system. I guess it is your preference. On a side note, I am selling my Infinity speakers and amp and sub if anyone wants it.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Huh?

I love my Infinity system. IMHO the JK, even with a hard top on, has such a high ambient noise level it makes a lousy listening platform. But after 40+ years of electric guitars, motorcycles and now Jeeps, the hearing isn't what it used to be.

Opera?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:48 AM
JK Junkie

Im the same way, i want to upgrade my stereo system also and im running with the Infinity system in my JK. I had an 07 Patriot before i bought my JK and there is a huge difference in the system. Maybe its because my Patriot had a Boston Acoustic and not the Infinity upgraded system or maybe it was the amp, but regardless there is a night and day difference. Im not as happy with my Infinity system the way i was with the Boston Acoustic system but im definitely going to upgrading.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 7 speaker infinity system... and dont get me wrong it sounds good compared to my TJ's.. I just think it could use a little help...

I dont want to replace the head unit as then ive got to deal with theft issues.. my jeep is often parked doorless / topless or just wit hthe soft doors on and i wont lock anything with a soft top..

removable faceplates are great except then ive got to carry that thing around... I wish someone would come out with one an RFID module that you'd carry on your key ring instead of having to remove the faceplate...

the tuffy radio enclosure is as ugly as it gets.. I dont want that thing up on my dash...

my first thought is just to try dynamatting the dashboard speaker enclosures as ive heard thats where a lot of the muddiness comes from.. and maybe replacing the sound bar speakers...

I just didnt know how high quality the infinity speakers are,, if they are decent speakers already and its an enclosure issue due to the sound bar then I'll just keep them...

-Christopher
Old 08-14-2010, 04:22 AM
JK Super Freak

I would leave the infinity system alone. It sounds good.

THe stock X/Sport sound system is a different story though. It is... well. not so spectacular.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:15 AM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=Wartoy;1806837

THe stock X/Sport sound system is a different story though. It is... well. not so spectacular.[/QUOTE]

I agree totally

Alfy
Old 08-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
Im the same way, i want to upgrade my stereo system also and im running with the Infinity system in my JK. I had an 07 Patriot before i bought my JK and there is a huge difference in the system. Maybe its because my Patriot had a Boston Acoustic and not the Infinity upgraded system or maybe it was the amp, but regardless there is a night and day difference. Im not as happy with my Infinity system the way i was with the Boston Acoustic system but im definitely going to upgrading.
I've talk to a couple of the guys from Infinity in the past that worked on the JK. It's really a half dozen of one and a half dozen of the other scenario. The Wrangler overall isn't a good listening environment to begin with and that's what Infinity had to work with. The lower dash speaker locations are awful locations for speakers. The enclosure space is way too small, the plastic is cheap and it rattles.....but that's what a Jeep is...the speakers are put in the dash and sealed to keep water out, so you can take your doors off and if the interior gets wet and water runs down the dash, then the speakers won't get wet, and while the doors are off, you can still listen to your tunes. The sound bar is the same type of scenario....too small of a mounting location, and the plastic rattles like there's no tomorrow if the loudness and low end bass isn't turned down. The sub enclosure is too small also....but Chrysler rather give you the rear cargo space. I was told they had proposed a lot of things in the vehicle that would improve the sound in regards to mounting locations and stiffening up pieces that would rattle...but this is what they got instead.

So anyways......the current Infinity speakers are matched with the amp. So Infinity tunes EQ settings within the amp, which gives the best response to match those speakers response, and the lack of response due to the enclosures. So when you change speakers, the new speakers have a totally new response....so things can improve and they can also get drastically worse depending on the response of the new speakers compared to the response of the OEM Infinity speakers.

I totally gutted and replaced the OEM Infinity system in my JK but I did it in steps. The 1st step was that I replaced all the speakers, like you're asking about. My overall perception was that some things seemed clearer, but due to the increased high frequency response on the new speakers I used, the Treble was ripping my ears off when I turned it up. I had to turn the treble control almost all the way down and then boost the Bass and Mid controls to get it to sound as close as possible to what seemed ok to my ears. It was definitely "louder"....but did it sound "better"? Well it depends on your own personal preference. Some people are happy with "Louder=Better"....but I'm more of an Audiophile, and I have a different acquired taste. It's like asking beer drinkers which beer is better? The one with higher alcohol content or the one that's been micro brewed and has more flavor?

Currently my entire system has been replaced and I'm now EQing the speakers myself with different Amp/Eq. I've come to realize before I can even do the EQing, I really need to do some work on the dash and the sound bar because no amount of EQ is going to fix the problems with the Sound bar and the Dash. Basically, I've come to appreciate the work Infinity must have had in front of them because, I'm now dealing with a lot of those headaches.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-14-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
That's really an apples to oranges comparison. You can put the same speaker in 2 different vehicles and they will sound totally different. In most vehicles, the front speakers are mounted in the doors....like what may be the case with your Patriot. Well, anyone that has ever built their own speaker boxes and gotten into the dimensions, adding a port...understands what is going on here. So think of what a door is....because that is actually your speaker "enclosure" if you where building a custom box for speakers. A door is made out of metal which makes it a more sturdy/stiffer material than plastic. Which means the material won't flap around when the speaker is producing sound. A door also has more air "volume" (LxWxH) behind the speaker, which is needed for a speaker to work properly. So since this is a "Wrangler" and you can take the doors off, and the doors are only about 2-3" in thickness....mounting a speaker in a Wrangler door becomes impossible. Instead they're mounted in the dash...mounted in flimsy plastic that can flap around, with very little air volume behind the speaker.

As an example, take a look at these spectral measurements I took on my front 6.5" speaker.

Here's what the Manufacturer's spectral measurements were of this speaker.

Now when they take these measurements, the speaker is mounted in a proper enclosure. So what you see for that 6.5" woofer is that it has a very good spectral response, going all the way down 100Hz, before it starts to tapper off.

Now look at that same speaker mounted in the Wrangler's front dash locations.

Notice how most everything below 150Hz is GONE....well, that's a HUGE chunk of the bass response for the speaker. Notice how it gets pretty choppy everywhere else and has a huge peak at 250Hz. Anyone looking to buy new speakers and knowing anything about spectral response of a speaker would NEVER buy that speaker.....but it's the same speaker as the one posted above. So what's different that would make these measurements so drastically different? The enclosure that they got mounted in......thus, the same thing you've unknowingly done when comparing a system in your Patriot to a system in your Wrangler.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-14-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually have a set of those Infinity Perfect 6.1's and a Perfect 10" DVC sub I was going to swap into the JK, looks like that would be a waste though if I just stuck them in the stock locations.

I'm mostly interested in getting a bit more Bass though, I was thinking of just swapping the factory sub for my Perfect 10" and using the 200W Alpine amp I have for just the sub.

Think that would work out ok?

Quick Reply: infinity speakers.. replace or not?