Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Infinity sound -- difference between 07 and 12?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity sound -- difference between 07 and 12?

Hey guys,

So my last JK, 2007 Sahara, had the Infinity sound package with sub. It had the 6-disc changer with DVD video out (not a MyGig). The stereo sounded great, I want to say it was the 600 watt model or something like that.

When I ordered my 2012, I told the dealer I wanted the same stereo with the subwoofer on my new Sport. On the window sticker of the new Jeep, it says it has:

Media Center 130 CD/MP3
6 Speakers
Audio Jack Input for Mobile Devices
368W 7-Speaker Infinity Sound Sys Incl Subwoofer
Connectivity Group
Remote USB Port
Electronic Vehicle Information Center
Uconnect Voice Command with Bluetooth

and I have got to say this stereo sounds NOTHING like the old one. It's a single disc, which is fine because I only use Sirius and iPhone with it. Hardly any bass, distorts at lower volume, etc. I'd love to make it sound just like my 07 Sahara did... so I wanted to try to find out the differences.

1. Does this 368W have an external amp or is it being driven from from the head unit?
2. If it does have an Infinity amp, can you just swap out the 368W for the higher wattage one like my Sahara? Does it have to be an amp from a 2011 or newer or can I use an older one?
3. Is the sub enclosure basically the same? It looks to be the same but with the 12V outlet on it.
4. Rather than buying the Infinity sub, can I put an aftermarket sub with a bigger stock Infinity amp and it sound the same or better with the 2012 enclosure?
5. Obviously the speakers are lower quality than the old ones as well, so I'd probably go aftermarket on those.
6. If I can swap the amps, does anyone have the part number for the higher wattage one?

I know there's tons of discussion about adding aftermarket amps and stuff, but I was perfectly happy with the 2007's stock Infinity amp and was wondering if I could just swap the more powerful one out and just have a plug-and-play better sounding system. I didn't see any posts asking for this type of comparison but if there are any, please let me know

Thanks!

Last edited by jkchr1s; 01-30-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

What HU did you have in your '07? That could be the difference. As far as i know from everything i've read the factory infinity system hasn't changed anything over the years component wise. I had an '08 sahara 2dr and i loved the sound it put out from the factory infinity system w/ a kenwood HU. The kenwood had all kinds of sound optimization tweaks in it like bass boost, eq tone/curve, "loudness" etc that let me get more from the factory system. Now i have a 2012 w/ infinity system, 730n and its decent, it just doesnt sound as good as the '08 . All the 730n gives u is bass mid and hi level adjust which barely seem like they have any effect at all.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure if you may be confusing the battery and the amp, because the battery is 600 amps, but both Infinity systems on the 07 and 12 have the 368W amplifier.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkchr1s
Hey guys,

So my last JK, 2007 Sahara, had the Infinity sound package with sub. It had the 6-disc changer with DVD video out (not a MyGig). The stereo sounded great, I want to say it was the 600 watt model or something like that.

When I ordered my 2012, I told the dealer I wanted the same stereo with the subwoofer on my new Sport.
Excellent question and I may be positioned to answer this better than anyone because I have a 2007 JKU Sahara with the Infinity radio identical to the one you had and a 2012 JKU Sahara with a 730N that is still the Infinity unit.

This weekend I will put them side by side and do some comparisons and get back to you.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that's funny, I have a 2007 sahara, and my dad has a 2011 rubicon, both with inifinity sound, and his sounds MUCH better than mine does.

I've got the 6 disc changer too, and he has the standard unit with 1 cd as well.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

My 2012 (same as 2011) has more padding on the door panels which could account for that. Will let you know after I do a side by side this weekend.

Quick Reply: Infinity sound -- difference between 07 and 12?