Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Infinity BASS LINK setup questions

Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity BASS LINK setup questions

Hello All,

Wife and I got a used 2008 Rubicon Unltd. a couple months back. I am now in the process of many upgrades ( Rancho f/r bumpers, 35" km2 tires, 10k winch, terra flex spring lift)

However my first question is related to to the Infinty stock stereo. I came across a Infinity BASSLINK 10" powered sub. Our Jeep has the 6 disc changer head, tweeters on top of the dash, 6.5 in the dash and sound bar and a 8" passive sub in the rear. I removed the stock sub. Then I ran 8 ga. power from the battery to the Bass link. Tapped into the rear sub harness, and went into the speaker level input and she came to life.

Now the question- where does everyone set the controls. Boost, Gain, Xovr.
Should I assume the speake level wires from the factory are already set for low pass. How does this effect the Bass Link. ANY input would be appreciated. thank you.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

For my second question
Just picked up a set of kickers 77 kick 10 for the sound bar at the dealer for 71 bucks, should I pack the sound bar with sound media? WIll is help thanks w/ sound level, thank you
Old 08-06-2010, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by demarko69
For my second question
Just picked up a set of kickers 77 kick 10 for the sound bar at the dealer for 71 bucks, should I pack the sound bar with sound media? WIll is help thanks w/ sound level, thank you
The Infinity amp has built in EQ filters, which means those audio signals driving the speakers will be filtered in some manor. This should be ok for the rear sub you're adding, since you're replacing a sub with a sub. The sound bar speakers however you will not be very pleased with.

The Sound Bar is not a well constructed piece of equipment, and due to that Infinity had to turn the bass down in the sound bar speakers since bass usually makes cheap plastic parts rattle. So by putting subs in the sound bar holes, you're trying to make those speakers reproduce sound that it's not getting due to the amp rolling those low end frequencies off.

The sound bar for subs is not a good idea on top of that. Normally, you want Mid range and Tweeter speakers (non subs) mounted up in high locations, since those frequencies are much more "directional", and by having them up high the image of the sound will sit up higher. In lamens terms, not having those speakers mounted up high means it would sound like everything is coming from your feet, where your ears aren't located.

You will most likely be very disappointed with the subs in the sound bar. It will probably make it sound worse than it currently is. I've heard of others do exactly what you're describing and they weren't pleased with the end results......and myself being somewhat of an audiophile.....that would be an expected result.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

thank you for the reply, the kickers 77kick10 are coaxial speaker and I hoping they wil brighten up the mid/highs. I am not an audiophile, I just like the 80s hair metal..

Im going out to get some speaker packing and will let you know if I spent my money wisely

thx
Old 08-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

thank you for the reply, the kickers 77kick10 are coaxial speaker and I hoping they wil brighten up the mid/highs. I am not an audiophile, I just like the 80s hair metal..

Im going out to get some speaker packing and will let you know if I spent my money wisely

thx

Oh....sorry, when I hear the word "kicker", I guess I just automatically assume subs. You should be happy with those then. When I replaced my sound bar speakers it definitely brightened things up and gave a little more sound from the sound bar.

You probably won't get much kick/bass thump though. You're talking to a former long hair, but still a headbanger so you should be good to go.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

thx rednroll

OK, got things in and all working.

HU is set on treble max, mid 4, bass 0

Kicker 77kick10 with packing in the sound bar, alittler more sound, mid highs good.
I have a pretty big gap in the bass section. The sub is alot better than stock. Im missing sound. I get good lows from bass guitar, bass drums but Im missing some mid/bass.

SHould I turn up the bass on the HU or increase the crossover on the BASSLINK. Im guessin its around 80hz, maybe I will try 100-120hz, I just dont want a muddy sound.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

thx rednroll

OK, got things in and all working.

HU is set on treble max, mid 4, bass 0

Kicker 77kick10 with packing in the sound bar, alittler more sound, mid highs good.
I have a pretty big gap in the bass section. The sub is alot better than stock. Im missing sound. I get good lows from bass guitar, bass drums but Im missing some mid/bass.

SHould I turn up the bass on the HU or increase the crossover on the BASSLINK. Im guessin its around 80hz, maybe I will try 100-120hz, I just dont want a muddy sound.
Yesterday, I took some spectral measurements on my front speakers, using Pink Noise. I found there was a hole at 150Hz, and a big bump at 250Hz. These holes/bumps are most likely due to the small size of the enclosures that the 6.5" speakers go in. From the sounds of it, you probably have a similar situation....since they're the same enclosures. I guess, I would try turning the cross over up higher, and see what happens. Tomorrow, I'm going to be working on putting some dynamat around my front 6.5's. It will probably be a few days, since I have a couple projects I'm currently working on with my system, but I'll let you know what happens with the dynamat as far as eliminating that hole at 150Hz.

Here's what I measured with just the Left Front 6.5" playing Pink Noise....all other speakers turned off. There's a pretty big peak at 250Hz and a dip at 150Hz and 400Hz. We'll see how this changes once I add the dynamat. This is from an Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5"....so it's a pretty decent speaker.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-07-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

I wish I had a spectrum analyser- that would help alot.

Im using old school technology- JudasPriest- Metal Gods - and my ears
Old 08-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

I wish I had a spectrum analyser- that would help alot.

Im using old school technology- JudasPriest- Metal Gods - and my ears
All the classic Priest like that is mixed kind of thin by today's standards.....I would recommend an Upgrade.....Judas Priest- Pain Killer-and your ears....that at least brings you into the 90's realm of technology.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

As far as your gain and your frq knobs. Set the freq dead center. turn on stereo and play song with the most bass that you'll listen to. Turn up volume as high as you will listen to it. Turn up gain until you get distortion then back off just below. From there you can fine tune the Freq knob.

Quick Reply: Infinity BASS LINK setup questions