Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Infinity with aftermarket speakers???

Old 06-29-2007, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Infinity with aftermarket speakers???

Has anyone done this? What speakers? Does it sound better or the same?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because it is a 2 ohm system - you should get lower watts on aftermarket speakers -

Fancy speakers that need 90 watts to drive won't sound better -

I went with some 6.5" alpine speakers - max 50 Watts and they sound better - not a huge difference - but better -
Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best bet if you want to truly hear a sound quality difference would be to run an aftermarket amplified with some aftermarket speakers. Without a high-power amplifier, your wasting your money on speakers.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by directedby
because it is a 2 ohm system - you should get lower watts on aftermarket speakers -

Fancy speakers that need 90 watts to drive won't sound better -

I went with some 6.5" alpine speakers - max 50 Watts and they sound better - not a huge difference - but better -
Same here - I got some real nice FOCAL 6.5 inch. They sound much better than the factory ones but it could be better. To me it was worth the investment. The stock ones are horrible.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

This may have been mentioned in another thread, but adding aftermarket speakers with the factory INFINITY setup is questionable because of the dividing network at the amplifier.

What Ive noticed is this. First, none of the speakers are full range. If you want to replace speakers, you need to replace them driver-for-driver. Specifically, there is no tweeter signal at the dash woofers, nor in the soundbar; speaker replacement will not add back signal that is not there. Anyone who has upgraded the speakers with the infinity setup is seeing no real improvement for that reason, I suspect.

I replaced the tweeters at the stock location, using the signal directly into the tweeter with and without an additional crossover, and can say that I think its mostly wishful thinking that it sounds better than stock. The dash woofers are a nightmare to get out, and the reward for doing so (if using the OEM amp) is very little. I think the factory drivers may actually be better at producing midbass in those enclosures. I would probably put those back in if it wasnt suck a PITA to do the driver's side.

So, unless you want to go aftermarket headunit, and completely redo the wiring, my advice is to "Leave those kids alone!" YMMV.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default put kappas in

I put Infinity tweeters in to replace the stock tweeters much better I'd say
I stayed with the same Ohms as factory it really opened up the hi end

Will someday still add a Amp for the sub and go Solobaric, but sound much better for now
Old 03-07-2008, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aero_instability
This may have been mentioned in another thread, but adding aftermarket speakers with the factory INFINITY setup is questionable because of the dividing network at the amplifier.

What Ive noticed is this. First, none of the speakers are full range. If you want to replace speakers, you need to replace them driver-for-driver. Specifically, there is no tweeter signal at the dash woofers, nor in the soundbar; speaker replacement will not add back signal that is not there. Anyone who has upgraded the speakers with the infinity setup is seeing no real improvement for that reason, I suspect.

I replaced the tweeters at the stock location, using the signal directly into the tweeter with and without an additional crossover, and can say that I think its mostly wishful thinking that it sounds better than stock. The dash woofers are a nightmare to get out, and the reward for doing so (if using the OEM amp) is very little. I think the factory drivers may actually be better at producing midbass in those enclosures. I would probably put those back in if it wasnt suck a PITA to do the driver's side.

So, unless you want to go aftermarket headunit, and completely redo the wiring, my advice is to "Leave those kids alone!" YMMV.
I thought this would be the case, but it's not. I replaced both the front and speaker bar speakers with some "cheap" Pioneer speakers (got both sets from Best Buy on clearence for $51) My only problem is that now the highs far out perform the mids and lows! This weekend I plan to add an amp to a new sub, how I got about that is still up in the air cuz I think I am just going to yank the factory 8" set-up. I compared my up graded passanger side to my stock driver's side and there is no comparison. Again, this was unexpected. In the past I have just added a sub to these factory Infinity or Bose systems and it really woke them up but our JK's system is so pathetic that I had to try something. I would say it is a worth while upgrade if you can do all 4 speakers for under $100!

Quick Reply: Infinity with aftermarket speakers???