Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Incident glare on aftermarket LCD flip up screens?

Old 01-12-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incident glare on aftermarket LCD flip up screens?

What up everyone?

I had an intriguing problem that I wanted to see if it was unique or if others were suffering the same malady.

I have an aftermarket Panasonic CQ-VD7005U DVD head unit that has a flip up LCD monitor. This deck seems to have an issue with incident sunlight washing out the screen. I've tried changing the viewing angle of the screen, tinting my front windows (approximately 30%), to no avail.

It seems to only affect the screen if I am watching a movie. The normal background screen does not seem to be affected if I am rocking a CD or listening to Sirius. It only happens when the sun is coming in from the passenger side it seems like. Any thoughts? I have a possible theory:

I had the same deck in my 2006 Toyota Tundra, with ZERO glare issues. My thinking is that the angle of the windshield has something to do with the picture quality. The slanted windshield of the Tundra deflected a good deal more sunlight than the near vertical windshield on the JK.

Anyone have the same issue with the same head unit and/or any head unit with a flip-up screen? Is it better with an in-dash double DIN display? I look forward to your input.

Russ D.

Quick Reply: Incident glare on aftermarket LCD flip up screens?